Tuesday 15 October 2013

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

October 15: Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read (either by teachers, friends, other bloggers, reviews)

Some weeks, I find it hard to come up with ten, in other weeks, I find it hard to delete so many that only ten will remain.

This is one of the latter weeks. I was "forced to read" books in school but have always enjoyed them, probably with the exception of Franz Kafka, I really did not like his books. But I am still a huge fan of classics. Maybe I just had the right teachers, maybe I was always destined to like them because I was born in the wrong century, who knows.

Therefore, I will mention some of the books I read in school but wouldn't say I disliked reading them.

Borchert, Wolfgang "Das Gesamtwerk" (complete works, I’m pretty sure some of them have been translated) - 1945/47
Brecht, Bertolt "Das Leben des Galilei" (Life of Galileo) - 1938
- "Der kaukasische Kreidekreis" (The Caucasian Chalk Circle) - 1944/45
Büchner, Georg "Woyzeck" (Woyzeck) - 1879
Droste-Hülshoff, Annette von "Die Judenbuche" (The Jew's Beech) - 1842
Dürrenmatt, Friedrich "Der Besuch der Alten Dame" (The Visit) - 1956
- "Der Richter und sein Henker" (The Judge and his Hangman) - 1950
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von "Iphigenie auf Tauris" (Iphigenia in Tauris) - 1787
- "Die Leiden des jungen Werther" (The Sorrows of Young Werther) - 1774
Gotthelf, Jeremias "Die schwarze Spinne" (The Black Spider) - 1842
Hauff, Wilhelm "Das kalte Herz" (Heart of Stone or The Cold Heart or the Marble Heart) - 1837
Kafka, Franz "Die Verwandlung" (The Metamorphosis) - 1912
- "Das Urteil" (The Judgment) - 1912
Kleist, Heinrich von "Die Marquise von O..." (The Marquise of O-) - 1808
- "Prinz Friedrich von Homburg oder die Schlacht bei Fehrbellin" (The Prince of Homburg) - 1809/1810
Lessing, Gotthold Ephraim "Nathan der Weise" (Nathan the Wise) - 1779
Plenzdorf, Ulrich "Die neuen Leiden des jungen W." (The new Sufferings of Young W.) - 1972
Rhue, Morton "The Wave" - 1981
Schiller, Friedrich "Kabale und Liebe" (Intrigue and Love) - 1784
Storm, Theodor "Pole Poppenspäler" (Paul the Puppeteer) - 1874

No comments:

Post a Comment