Friday 16 October 2015

Book Quotes of the Week



"Home is where the books are." Richard Francis Burton

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books... which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal. It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author... seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways." John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012

[The omitted words in this quotation refer to a fictitious book and author - An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten - the title of which is taken from an Emily Dickinson poem "There's a certain slant of light..." According to Green, if you want to "read" the imaginary book, read "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace and "The Blood of the Lamb" by Peter De Vries and then try to blend the feeling of those two books.]

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." Dr Seuss

"You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." Paul Sweeney

"Let your bookcases and your shelves be your gardens and your pleasure-grounds. Pluck the fruit that grows therein, gather the roses, the spices, and the myrrh." Judah Ibn Tibbon

Find more book quotes here.

2 comments:

  1. Such good quotes this week. Books are such a part of my life that I can't imagine not reading. I can remember when I was a teacher a number of fellow teachers would say they didn't like to read, it really shocked me.
    There are some books I'll carry with me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Janet. I can't imagine a life without books or reading, I've been reading as long as I can remember, always read anything I could get my hands on. How anyone can become a teacher if they don't like to read is beyond me. I feel sorry for everyone who grows up without books.

    Hope you have a good reading week,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete