Friday 11 November 2016

Book Quotes of the Week



"A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us." W. H. Auden

"Why can't people just sit and read BOOKS and be nice to each other?" David Baldacci

"I've read too many books to believe what I am told." Suheir Hammad

"Revolutions of ages do not oft recover the loss of a rejected truth, for the want of which whole nations fare the worse." John Milton

"If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions." N.N.

[If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.] 

Find more book quotes here.

4 comments:

  1. I thoroughly agree with that last quote and do make myself read books I think I'm going to disagree with,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only way we can make up our minds. Thanks for liking it so much, I do, as well.

      Have a great week,
      Marianne

      Delete
  2. This week I choose the quote from N N. Due to the US election results I have been forced to read many comments by people I do not agree with, but have realized that in a democracy you must understand those who believe differently than oneself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the US elections played into my selection of quotes a lot last week. I don't live in the US but have many friends who do and I was so fed up with all their rantings, I thought some of them might stop now but they carried on even worse than before. So, I do try to understand them but like to get my information from various sources. A lot of them don't.

      Anyway, so happy you like the quote as much as I do. Have a good week,
      Marianne

      Delete