Friday 21 July 2017

Book Quotes of the Week



"I consider as lovers of books not those who keep their books hidden in their store-chests and never handle them, but those who, by nightly as well as daily use thumb them, batter them, wear them out, who fill out all the margins with annotations of many kinds, and who prefer the marks of a fault they have erased to a neat copy full of faults." Desiderius Erasmus

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

"As you grow ready for it, somewhere or other, you will find what is needful for you in a book." George Macdonald

"Reading is the difficulty to populate a country of strange fantasies with your own thoughts." Kurt Tucholsky

"I am too fond of reading books to care to write them." Oscar Wilde

Find more book quotes here.

2 comments:

  1. Oscar Wilde and I share a problem. I would always rather read than write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he might be on to something. There will always have to be more readers than writers, otherwise they can't live and write more ... So, I think he is correct. Having said that, he wrote some fantastic plays!

      Anyway, my favourite this week was the quote by Erasmus. I do treat my books well but I certainly don't hide them away and I share them with my friends, so I think he would call me a lover of books. ;)

      Delete