Friday 8 December 2017

Book Quotes of the Week



"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was. If you can get so that you can give that to people, then you are a writer." Ernest Hemingway

"Our high respect for a well-read man is praise enough of literature." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"People don’t read any more. It’s a sad state of affairs. Reading’s the only thing that allows you to use your imagination. When you watch films it’s someone else’s vision, isn’t it?" Lemmy Kilmister

"Books are best preserved in the minds of readers." Kat Lowe, Dream Cat

"I have never known any distress that an hour’s reading did not relieve." Charles de Montesquieu

Find more book quotes here.

8 comments:

  1. I do like that Ernest Hemingway quote, it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's true. I hardly ever post a comment on here that I don't agree with. ;)
      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. I'll go with Charles de Montesquieu today. Just went through another wild fire scare in my area and reading alleviated the stress. I was reading Jennifer Egan's new novel, Manhattan Beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Judy. I hope you are all doing well and got away without any damage.

      I don't think I ever read anything by Jennifer Egan. Would you recommend her?

      Have a good week, no more fires!!!!

      Delete
    2. Fires are over in my area, though some are still raging in others. We did not have to evacuate our home but it was a stressful week.
      Yes, Jennifer Egan is great! You might like to start with The Keep, since it is set partly in Europe. http://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2007/12/keep.html

      Delete
    3. I'm glad for you that they are over in your area and hope they won't come back anytime soon. Best wishes!

      I don't need my books to be set in Europe. On the contrary, I often love them even more if they are about some unknown territory. However, I will go with your recommendation, I'm sure it will be a good one! It does sound interesting.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I just finished A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, a strange, wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, if two people recommend that author (and I know we have a very similar taste), she must be good.

      Thank you.

      Delete