Wednesday 26 February 2020

Tung, Debbie "Book Love"


Tung, Debbie "Book Love" - 2019

From time to time you need a book that makes you feel good about your passion, devotion, affection, dedication, or even frenzy. In my case reading or books, of course.

On the internet, I've seen comics by Debbie Tung that always show how much she is either a crazy book lady, as well, or how much she understands us. Whether it's about the inability to resist any book, the love for used books, the misunderstandings between readers and non-readers, the author knows them all and is so talented to illustrate it in a comical but also lovable way. So, when I saw there was a book by her, I had to get it.

The book is full of wonderful scenes, all of them straight out of my life. One of my favourites is "my kind of party" where four people sit in front of a bookshelf and all read a book. Or "by living a reading life … I live so many lives at once". or "seeing somebody reading the same book as you … is like meeting your new best friend" … or, well, have a look yourselves.

The illustrations are beautiful, and you have the feeling at the end of every page/comic: That's me! How on earth does this young British woman know me? Did I meet her when we lived in England??? I'm sure there are millions of people like me out there who feel the same. Every book lover should have this book.

From the back cover:

"Bookworms rejoice! These charming comics capture exactly what it feels like to be head-over-heels for hardcovers. And paperbacks! And ebooks! And bookstores! And libraries!

Book Love is a gift book of comics tailor-made for tea-sipping, spine-sniffing, book-hoarding bibliophiles. Debbie Tung’s comics are humorous and instantly recognizable - making readers laugh while precisely conveying the thoughts and habits of book nerds. Book Love is the ideal gift to let a book lover know they’re understood and appreciated."

4 comments:

  1. There are so many people who feel the same. It is good once in a while to remember that we are not weird, we are smart! People actually, and some of them are my friends, seem to want to mock me for reading so much. Maybe they are just jealous, but as I always tell them, if you want to read more, stop watching TV!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever get remarks for reading, sometimes for what I'm reading "too highbrow, I like to enjoy my reading". Doh, so do I. ;)
      You really need to have a look at this book. I know a lot of her cartoons also appear on social media but I'm glad I have the book.

      Delete
  2. I loved this too. Stay safe! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. I think anyone who likes reading will fall in love with the drawings and thoughts. That's why I just had to add it to your list.

      And yes, you too stay safe!!!!

      Delete