Monday 2 November 2020

Happy November!

Happy November to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch


"Abends bei den Rehen im Winterwald"
"In the Evening with the Deer in the Winter Forest"

November approaches and with it the end of the year. I bet none of us can wait for this year to end though we have no idea what the next one will bring. We just all hope that this nightmare of a pandemic will be over. But will it? Right now, I don't see any reason why it should end as quickly as it begun. This is something that will stay with us for a long time and we'll have to adjust our lives accordingly. I'm just glad we moved back home when we had the chance, would have been so much harder now.

* * * 
 
The trees in the picture remind me of the German tree of the year, the robinia (Robinia pseudoacacia). Not that they look like the commonly known "black locust" or "false acacia" at all, just that they are trees. Now, in German, we also call the robinia "silver rain". The official name was given by Carl Linnaeus (Carl von Linné) after the Jean Robin, the gardener of the French kings Henry III, Henry IV and Lous XIII. In Europe, we mainly use it to make acacia honey. Its wood is hard and durable and many of its parts are used for medicine. However, parts of it are toxic. After WWII, many German cities used it for the greening of mountains of rubble in their bombed out cities. Aren't trees fantastic?

I love trees. Any kind, any time of the year, they are beautiful. My favourite is probably the poplar because I had some behind my bedroom when I was little and they would always sound so soothing in the wind. But I especially like those lone trees that stand in the middle of a field. You see them a lot more in England than over here but I always cherish the view when I come across one.

* * *

I wish you all a happy November. Since the kids can't go out on their usual lantern tours (see here), we have been asked to decorate our windows so they can still go through the streets and see the lights everywhere. But - don't go out too much, take some new books or your favourite ones and keep Corona away. Books are so good for everything.

I just read this in one of my books:
"With great minds for company, a man is never lonely."
 Edward Rutherfurd in "Sarum"

* * *

Have a happy November with this beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch. Stay safe!



You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here.


You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about them.

4 comments:

  1. Happy November, Marianne. I hope it brings at least some good things. I love trees too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it brings nothing else, it probably brings books to read, and that's always good.

      Have a great month.

      Delete
  2. Happy November! At least we have our books, given to us by trees. Nature is the most amazing thing we have.

    Good reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Lisbeth. I had to think about that as well. Do I love trees because they give us books? No, I love trees, the look of them, the smell of them. Everything. And they give us so much. I remember looking for conkers with my boys. So much fun.

      Have a great month!

      Delete