Friday 15 October 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

      
Word cloud made with WordItOut

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at the typewriter and bleed." Ernest Hemingway

If it really were that easy, we'd have a lot more authors.


"A book that we love haunts us forever; it will haunt us, even when we can no longer find it on the shelf or beside the bed where we must have left it. After all, it is the act of reading, for many of us, that forged our first link to the world. And so lost books - books that have gone missing through neglect or been forgotten in changing tastes or worst of all, gone up in a puff of rumour - gnaw at us. Being lovers of books, we've pulled a scent of these absences behind us our whole reading lives, telling people about books that exist only on our own shelves, or even just in our own memory. This is what was on our minds one rainy afternoon in Toronto, as we sat around a dining-room table where the four of us, every few months, make manifest a sporadic but long-lived magazine called Brick: A Literary Journal." Sample text for Lost classics / edited by Michael Ondaatje

I talk about this in one of my posts, "Forgetting a Book Title". I'm still looking for that book.

"If I'm ever stranded, I hope it's in a bookstore." N.N. *

Don't we all?

Find more book quotes here.  

* [If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.]

14 comments:

  1. That Michael Ondaatje quote is amazing! I love that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Lark. A good book will stay with us, even if not physically.

      Delete
  2. A bookstore is a GREAT place to be stranded. It would be very hard to become bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life in a book shop, Lectrice. Most of them have these little coffee places nowadays. LOL

      Delete
  3. Love the stranded quote - going to share it in a few days Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Carole. I'm sure your readers will enjoy it just as much as you and me. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I love these, especially the middle one. And, of course, I would love to be stranded in a bookstore! I would never want to be rescued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the best part of that, Susan, would be that we are all stranded together. What a great place that would be!!!

      I see you're back from Europe. Hope you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Yes, they haunt us forever in the most beautiful of ways!

    ReplyDelete