Friday 22 October 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

      
Word cloud made with WordItOut

"Something will be offensive to someone in every book, so you've got to fight it." Judy Blume

We just need to be true to ourselves, not in a malicious sort of way but also not taking any nonsense from others.

"We use the word 'classic' of a book that takes the form of an equivalent to the universe, on a level with the ancient talismans. With this definition we are approaching the idea of the 'total book' as Mallarmé conceived of it." Italo Calvino

I use the word "classic" for any book that is older than a hundred years and still reads as if it were written only yesterday.

"Reading a book is looking into someone else's life, and you're damn lucky to experience so many lives in your lifetime." www.bookishelf.com *

Well said. Experience many lives, experience many ages, travelling to many, many countries. What could be better and easier?

Find more book quotes here

* [If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.]

6 comments:

  1. I love that idea that reading books is like experiencing so many different lives in just one lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good definition of a classic. I use the word "classic" for a book that is ~100 years old, made significant contributions to culture, and is still widely read today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Lectrice. I just meant that a book has to be at least 100 years old for me to be called a classic, many start calling them classics after 50 years, or, I've even seen books on lists that were from 1999. Makes me feel old. Of course, they have to be important and still read now, otherwise I wouldn't consider them, either.

      Delete
  3. Another favorite quote of mine regarding living many lives is this one:

    I read so I can live more than one life in more than one place - Anne Tyler.

    ReplyDelete