Friday 1 July 2022

Spell the Month in Books ~ July 2022

     

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

JULY

Jacob - Underground - Lea - Yours. That could almost be the title or at least the narrative of a new book. But it's the way I spell July this year.

J
Becker, Jurek "Jacob the Liar" (GE: Jakob der Lügner) - 1969
An occupant of the Warsaw ghetto tries to help his fellow Jews sustain life by telling them lies about the Russians being almost there to liberate them. The way this ordinary guy who has just as much to lose as everyone else is motivating people in their most desperate moments is so captivating.

U
Smucker, Barbara "Underground to Canada" - 1977

The novel tells the story of two slave girls who escape from a plantation near Vicksburg, Mississippi, and steal toward Canada on the Underground Railroad. A children's book but rather interesting

L
Mercier, Pascal "Lea" (GE: Lea) - 2007
A story from a father whose daugher learns to play the violin and who is a great talent. This talent destroys everyone's life around her, including her own.

Y
Scott, Mary "Yours to oblige" - 1954
A lighthearted novel. Justin is a lawyer's son who has just finished his studies and whose girlfriend asks him to give up his cosy life for three months and work hard in a little village where it's difficult to find workers because of the tough life they have to lead.

Quite a few different topics this time, but I can recommend all of those novels.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for Jacob the Liar! What a great book. :) Thanks again for recommending it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how nice, Lark. Thanks for mentioning this. I remember our conversation about it. Glad you liked it because it is indeed a fantastic book. I wish there were more Jacobs in this world.

      Delete
  2. I keep forgetting about this one. Every month when I read this post from you, you think by now I would have learned to just queue up the posts. Yet here we are. Maybe I will actually get to do so this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Sarah, I know the feeling, happens to me with other stuff. I have a list of posts I want to do every month, otherwise I'd probably forget it, as well. I think you really should do this since you read so many interesting books that could be so great for all of us.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for these interesting tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope you find a book you like.

      Delete