Saturday 3 December 2022

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From The Snow Child to The Diary of a Young Girl

#6Degrees of Separation:
from The Snow Child to The Diary of a Young Girl

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

I haven't read the starter book very often but this one had been on my TBR pile for a while and I had just finished it a month before the book was set for this challenge. So, I was very pleased to go with that.

Some months, I have used the words in a title or the names of the author (I doubt I would have found another Eowyn or another Ivey, though). Last month, I went with items on the covers.

This time, I went with words again but all books are all about children, their lives, their friendships, their struggles. All of them highly interesting. I bet most people have read at least the last one.

See, Lisa "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" - 2005

Roberts, Karen "The Flower Boy" - 2001

Noa Bercovitch, Pascale "The Dolphin’s Boy: A Story of Courage and Friendship" (F: Oline, le dauphin du miracle) - 2000

O'Dell, Scott "Island of the Blue Dolphins" - 1969

Arnold, Gaynor "Girl in a Blue Dress" - 2008

Frank, Anne "The Diary of a Young Girl" (NL: Het Achterhuis) - 1942-33

Since my connection was children this time, there is still a link between the first and the last book, they are both about a girl even though their lives are very different.

Look for further monthly separation posts here

4 comments:

  1. I always remember that Scott O'Dell showed his manuscript to Maud Hart Lovelace and her husband and she encouraged him to get it published as a children's book: https://betsytacysdeepvalley.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/authors-inspired-by-maud-hart-lovelace-share-their-praise/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, Constance, so thanks for that information. I read "Island of the Blue Dolphins" as a child and always loved it, read it again later and found there was a follow-up which I then read as an adult. Still loved both stories.

      Delete
  2. "their lives are very different" yes... you can say THAT again! I couldn't think of more different lives. Interesting chain with all children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. It's amazing how time and location can do more for (or against) you than anything else. These kids (mainly girls) all grew up in different circumstances. Anne Frank's book stands out not only because of her story and the fact that she was not allowed to grow into adulthood but also because it is a diary and we can tell that this is what she really went through. I definitely had to find a way to keep her in so we won't forget about her and everyone else who perished during that awful, awful time.

      From the others, two are based on real people, and they are all from different parts of the world, so I think it is a good mixture.

      Delete