Thursday 26 January 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Herta Müller

 

In this novel, Herta Müller describes the way of a Romanian woman to an appointment with the "Securitate", the secret police. The whole book takes place in the 90 minutes she needs to get there. While driving on the tram, she reflects on her life and what has happened before.

We were lucky to be able to discuss this book with our Romanian book club member who could give us some firsthand information.

We discussed this in our international book club in December 2010.

Read my original review here.

Müller, Herta "The King Bows and Kills" (German: Der König verneigt sich und tötet) - 2003

This book is a collection of several essays and it draws a picture of a life in a dictatorship. It is probably the closest to an autobiography that the author has written.

Read my original review here.

Herta Müller grew up in the German speaking part of Romania. She left for Germany in 1987 but her books were not published in Romania at the time.

Herta Müller "who, with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed" received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2009.

I contribute to this page: Read the Nobels and you can find all my blogs about Nobel Prize winning authors and their books here.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Muller's Land of Green Plums, but I haven't read any of her other books. The Appointment sounds good. And my library has a copy of The Fox Was Ever the Hunter. Have you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark.
      I've only read this one and The King Bows and Kills but I am sure they are all great.
      I meant to read more by her and maybe I could even find a copy in my local library - though I doubt it.

      Delete
  2. OMG, a Nobel Prize winner I don't remember having heard about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Emma. When she was announced on the radio as a German author who received the Nobel Prize, I had never heard of her, either. She still isn't all that well known, even in Germany.

      Delete