My blogger friend CyberKitten posted this here:
Apparently there's an 'Internet trend' to post pictures of phones from the date you were born. This is mine.... Needless to say that we didn't have one at the time and not for another 15 years or so.
Same as his family, mine didn't have a phone back then (we got one about twenty years later) so I had to use my good old friend, the Internet, in order to find a picture from that time. This is the kind of phone I remember our neighbours had.
Thank you Bernd from Pixabay whose picture I found on Canva.

No way people could 'loose' their phones back then!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely not., Kitten When my kids were teenagers, I had a friend with two daughters their age and a younger son. One day he said, I wish they would invent a phone that would always stay at the same place. LOL
DeleteAnd thanks again for this lovely idea. I hope many other bloggers will pick up this challenge.
It was something that popped up on my YouTube feed. The guy who posted it only went back to the early mobile phones. I knew I could do better. But it still makes youngsters gasp in horror when I tell them that I've spent a good third of my life *before* the Internet even existed.
DeleteSame here, Kitten. I think we noticed before that we are of a similar age.
DeleteBut sometimes they gasp in admiration, lots of my sons' friends (who were born shortly before and after Freddie Mercury's death) become very jealous when I mention I have seen Queen in concert.
I remember @ Uni some of the younger students being AMAZED that I remember watching the Moon landing in 1969. Oh, and I think I've mentioned it before but I also saw Freddie & Queen in concert in Newcastle in 1986. Brilliant gig.
DeleteHeehee, so did I. And I know where I was when I heard that John Lennon was shot. Someone said, oh, he was already dead when I was born. And I saw Queen in 1981 in Brussels.
DeleteThere are many things we remember that are history for others.
One of my childhood memories was watching the Vietnam war on the evening news. I remember when the Americans evacuated Saigon VERY well. Its funny seeing the video in documentaries today when I remember seeing it a few hours after it happened for real on TV.
DeleteTrue, Kitten.
DeleteWe didn't have TV at the time but it was in the newspaper, of course. But I do remember injured Vietnamese kids coming to our school swimming pool to get treatment. It had a big impact on us and I think that's why we still want to help refugees, at least most of us who saw that.
Interesting trend. I remember a black phone when I was growing up. I always thought the wall mounted ones were cooler than the desk ones, but we never went for the cooler look, I guess!
ReplyDeleteThere were no wall-mounted ones in Germany, Jane. I saw them later on TV. I think I still might have preferred the desk ones because it was easier to sit down with them.
DeleteSame situation here. We had one phone for entire lane.
ReplyDeleteIt was more or less the same for us, Mystica, only that we didn't "belong" to the phone but had to ask the neighbour whether we could use it.
DeleteI rembember that the first phone we had, was a black one like this, but without the idal. You had to crank to get to a switch-board. Yes, people were actually sitting in a switch-board and re-directing the phone calls. I remember we had 157 (I think, or maybe 175) as telephonenumber.
ReplyDeleteYou must have had a phone then before us, Lisbeth. Or we didn't have that switchboard-thing in Germany anymore. I only remember this one. But maybe you can post a picture of yours?
DeleteI love these old phones!! They're so cool.
ReplyDeleteAren't they just, Sarah? I totally agree. It's like with a lot of other things, everything is bland and same-y now.
Delete