Pages

▼

Friday, 25 September 2026

Book Quotes

  

"Think not of the books you’ve bought as a 'to be read' pile. Instead, think of your bookcase as a wine cellar. You collect books to be read at the right time, the right place, and the right mood." Luc van Donkersgoed

I don't drink wine but I love the comparison. Nobody looks at someone who has a huge wine cellar and thinks it's useless to have them all. But buy more than two books and you have a problem.

"Nothing scares away bad dreams faster than the rustle of printed paper." Cornelia Funke

Totally true. Books can be so calming.

"The kindred joy of having discovered someone who read the same book was immediate, a friend whose mind had resided once in the same fictional world." Madeline Martin, The Secret Book Society

I think that is the secret of our blogging society. We are all readers and that's why we get on so well.

Find more book quotes here. 

6 comments:

  1. I used to drink a bit of wine - and other things - so can't not agree with the sentiment. Whenever anyone says about having 'enough' books or some such nonsense I just look at them as if they're CRAZY.... So, I already have more books than I could read in my lifetime. But just think of the CHOICES I have every time I look for a NEW one... [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Kitten. I read somewhere that I have enough books to last me for the next ... don't know ... 273 years or so. And another one that I will come back as a ghost to finish reading my TBR pile. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing these quotes. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these quotes and a lot of my blog friends do, as well. I used to write them every Friday but lately, I had too many other things going on, so I didn't write that much. But you can always check my link at the bottom for more.
      Have a nice Sunday, Linda.

      Delete
  3. Love that comparison of bookshelves to a wine cellar! I love knowing I'll always have something to read whenever I need a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. This reminds me of the saying for sea-faring folk: "May you always have wind in your sails and a hand-width of water under your keel!"
      So let us wish each other: May you always have something good to read in your home!

      Delete