Pages

▼

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

The 1949 Club

This book challenge takes place twice a year and concentrates on one year and one year only. I call it "Read the Year Club". This time, 1949 was picked. For more information, see Simon @ Stuck in a Book and Kaggsy @ Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings (here is Karen's invite with more suggestions, and here is Simon's). If you are looking for inspiration, there are a few books from that year that I read already:

Böll, Heinrich "The Silent Angel" (GE: Der Engel schwieg) - 1949/50
Camus, Albert "The Just Assassins" (aka The Just) (F: Les Justes) - 1949
Kästner, Erich "Lisa and Lottie" (aka The Parent Trap) (GE: Das doppelte Lottchen) - 1949
Miller, Arthur "Death of a Salesman" - 1949

If you need more ideas, there are other books that I found but have not read:
Beauvoir, Simone de "The Second Sex" (Le Deuxième Sexe)
Blyton, Enid "The Secret Seven" and "Five Get into Trouble"
Christie, Agatha "Crooked House"
Mahfouz, Naguib "The Beginning and the End" (داية ونهاية/Bidaya wa Nihaya)
Miller, Henry "Sexus"
Moberg, Vilhelm "The Emigrates" (Utvandrarna)

This challenge takes place from 12 to 18 October 2026.

I have chosen the book by Naguib Mahfouz.

See my other reads for this challenge here.

6 comments:

  1. Some interesting options - will look forward to your contributions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. It's always a pleasure to participate in your challenge.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of this challenge, but I always forget about it until it's too late and I have already have too many books underway to participate.

    Honestly, 1949 looks like a rather grim year, book wise. Hope your choice is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would forget every time, Jane, if I didn't mark it on my calendar. And I will choose the new book once I know which year it is. It's always interesting to see what others choose. If you want a not so grim book, try Lisa and Lottie. Or the Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie. Karen has a few others on her list that might suit you.
      In any case, maybe I'll see you in April for our next challenge.

      Delete
  3. Great idea to post this early!
    I just finished The Reluctant Murderer, by Bernice Carey, for the challenge.
    And hoping to read at least one more: The Moving Target, by Ross Macdonald.
    Otherwise, I have read 10 books published that year, including Les Justes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd do this now so that some people might still want to join, Emma.
      I have always read at least a few book of a year. Still waiting for a year where I haven't read one ...
      Happy Reading!

      Delete