Rachel Cusk
"Life of M" - 2026
"Life of M" - 2026
#6Degrees of Separation:
from Life of M (Goodreads) to One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch
📚📚📚
from Life of M (Goodreads) to One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch
#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.
The starter book this month is "Life of M" by Rachel Cusk. As so often, I haven't read the starter book. But I recently read a book with an actress and I rather read books about normal people, about the girl or the guy next door.
The starter book this month is "Life of M" by Rachel Cusk. As so often, I haven't read the starter book. But I recently read a book with an actress and I rather read books about normal people, about the girl or the guy next door.
This is the description of the novel:
"From the critically-acclaimed author of the Outline trilogy, an irresistible novel of fame, power, beauty and truth -- and a blazing renovation of the form
A little while ago, I told the actor M that I was thinking of writing her autobiography. She liked the idea. She's a good sport. Would you just make it up? she said.
M is a film star, and one of the most recognisable faces of our time.
With such fame, her life has the appearance of freedom: people are instantly obliging, spaces are altered to accommodate her, time can be rearranged. For her, it seems, the rules of reality have melted away.
Now M has agreed to let a stranger write her biography. Their project will sprawl and expand: to the olive groves and holiday beaches where M spends her days; across hotel rooms, bourgeois facades, film sets; through endless modern cities. It is hard not to feel ugly next to M, hard not to feel insignificant. But what truths - about the very experience of living - might this proximity allow the writer to briefly capture? And what in the end will M make of their work?
In Life of M, Rachel Cusk has again fashioned a new kind of literature. A novel stripped of artifice, it takes our emptiness and fills it with grace."
The last three months I found there was a word in the title which is repeated in quite a few books. I had Year, Land and Island. This was another title that I could use in this way, so we will go with Life this time.
Brecht, Bertolt "Life of Galileo" (German: Das Leben des Galilei) - 1938
An epic play about the life of Galileo Galilei, his discoveries, his conflicts with the Catholic Church, his conflicts with himself and the rest of the world.
Bryson, Bill "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" - 2006
I don't know what I love most about Bill Bryson, his humour certainly is a big contender for number one. But it's not just that, he is a brilliant writer, I think even if he would write a cook book or a technical instruction, it would sound great.
Anyway, in this book we go back to his roots, meet his family, meet little William - or Billy - Bryson, his friends, his foes, his adventures as a young boy, his adventures as an older boy.
Clarke, Marcus "For the Term of His Natural Life" - 1870-72
This novel was recommended to me by one of my Australian friends, it describes the life of a convict from when he first gets condemned through the voyage to the new continent and the rest of his life. The story is very gripping and the author has a great way of describing the life of these poor creatures.
I am still looking for a book I read ages ago about someone who belonged to the first convicts who were released and settled on the land while the aborigines were not in the area and then had to face them when they returned. If anyone has a suggestion as to the title of that one, I’d be very grateful.
Naipaul, V.S. "Half A Life" - 2001
This novel takes place in a lot of different parts of this world, India, Africa, Europe.
A privileged son leaves his home and goes abroad to live a poor life. An interesting take on life in different settings.
Pamuk, Orhan "The New Life" (Turkish: Yeni Hyat) - 1994
In this novel, the protagonist reads a book. Sounds familiar?
Now, even reading a brilliant book doesn't mean it will change your entire life. But in this case, it does. Osman is a student in Istanbul. He gives up his studies, leaves his family and friend behind and goes on a long journey through Turkey with no destiny or motive.
Solschenizyn, Alexander "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" (Russian: Оди́н день Ива́на Дени́совича Odin den' Ivana Denisovicha) - 1962
We always hear about the Gulag, the prisoners who sent to Siberia and have to work there etc. But we never really know what is going on there, what the work is like, how the prisoners are kept.
Unless we read about the one day in the life of Ivan Denisovich Shukhov, starting the instant he opens his eyes in the morning until he closes them again in the evening.
* * *
So, what's the connection between the starter book and the last one except for the word "life" in the title? In both cases the life is very different from ours (and from each other), like in all the others. No life is the same.
📚📚📚

No comments:
Post a Comment