Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Weir, Andy "Project Hail Mary" - 2021

Weir, Andy "Project Hail Mary" - 2021

I learned with this book that there is such a thing as hard science fiction. *) I am not a sci-fi fan but I do like this kind of description. And it is true, this one definitely falls under that category. All his descriptions are logical. The author even manages to describe physical explanations in a way that I understand it. Physics was not my favourite subject at school and I have not expanded the knowledge I gained there, so I learned a lot from this book.

But even if you're not into those explanations at all, you can just enjoy the story as it is.

And enjoy I did it. 

I had loved The Martian and therefore bought this novel a while ago. But with my large TBR pile, it took me a while to tackle this. I had talked to my son about The Martian and given my copy to him. He liked it and then mentioned that he would like this one for his upcoming birthday. Since I already had it, I told him not to worry, I'd read this one and then he would get my copy.

I am glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed the excursion, the attempt to save the Earth. But this book is also full of humour and compassion. 

I can't tell too much about the content because it would involve too many spoilers but ask me, if you have any questions.

*) Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by concern for scientific accuracy and logic. (Wikipedia)

Book Description:

"Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn’t know that. He can’t even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he’s been asleep for a very, very long time. And he’s just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, Ryland realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it’s up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery—and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And with the clock ticking down and the nearest human being light-years away, he’s got to do it all alone.

Or does he?"

1 comment:

  1. I'll definitely be getting around to this @ some point. I certainly loved The Martian (both book & movie). I think I'll read his 2nd book first as it seems that its been skipped over by readers & movie makers too! I'm intrigued as to why... [grin] I enjoyed the Hail Mary movie, but nowhere near as much as 'The Martian'. I'm hoping that the book is better!

    ReplyDelete