Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Sedaris, David “Me Talk Pretty One Day”

Sedaris, David “Me Talk Pretty One Day” – 2000

A story about the author's childhood. He is trying to tell it in a funny way and somehow he manages. But only somehow.

I was expecting this to be ironic which I would have liked. But it wasn't. This book was just the complete opposite of what I expected it to be. It was childish, that's probably the best description I can come up with if I don't want to get too insulting. The author didn't come across as a very likeable person, either. I just did not care for him or his life or anything he wrote down. At all.

I have no idea who awarded him the prizes for humour or what kind of humour they are talking about.

Will I read another book by David Sedaris? I doubt it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to your blog! I have to agree with you on this book. I did find certain chapeters hysterically funny (Big Boy, for example - don't judge). But overall I was unimpressed. I can't believe the book got all the accolades it did. I was expecting a work of comic genius and was sorely disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add this is Kari from Pinterest! Mella is my nickname/alter ego when I blog about weight loss... but I haven't blogged in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I finally found someone who read the book. I think part of the problem often is that a book has been praised so much, you expect a lot more. Still, with this one, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked it even if I hadn't heard anything about it.

    ReplyDelete