Tuesday 31 December 2013

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Books I Read In 2013

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

December 31: Top Ten Books I Read In 2013

Quite a tough list to make because I read so many good books last year. So, I really tried to limit myself and I almost made it (if you consider more than one book form the same author as just one). Almost.

This is the result. These are my favourites.

Allende, Isabel "Maya's Notebook" (El Cuaderno de Maya)
Bernières, Louis de "Birds without Wings" 
Dostoevsky, Fyodor "Crime and Punishment" (Преступление и наказание)
Ghosh, Amitav "River of Smoke" (Ibis Trilogy #2)
- "Sea of Poppies" (Ibis Trilogy #1)
Hanff, Helene "84 Charing Cross Road"
Hislop, Victoria "The Return"
- "The Thread"
Mann, Thomas "Der Zauberberg" (The Magic Mountain)
Palacio, R.J. "Wonder" 
Palma, Félix J. "The Map of Time" (El mapa del tiempo)
Pamuk, Orhan "The Museum of Innocence" (Masumiyet Müzesi)
Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "Marina" (Marina)
- "The Prisoner of Heaven" (El Prisionero del Cielo)
Rutherfurd, Edward "Paris" 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list, Marianne! A couple of your books were already on my future reading list. Now I have a few more to add. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list, I ordered The Museum of Innocence, it really sounds interesting.
    How many languages can you read in? I read Spanish quite well, but have never, or at least not since college when I had to, read novels in Spanish. Even though I understand what I'm reading, I worry that I'm missing deeper meaning,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are both more than welcome. Annette, I do enjoy your blog just as much, it is so great to be able to see what others read and find some inspiration.

    Janet, I really hope you enjoy Orhan Pamuk, he is one of my favourite authors. As we have many people of Turkish origin living in Germany, he is big over here. If you like The Museum of Innocence, I recommend his other books, as well.

    I always say I speak five languages and I read books in all of them, if I can get them in the original language. I prefer reading in the original because I always am afraid I will miss some of the meaning the author meant because the translator interpreted them differently. Unfortunately, even though I speak a little and understand a little more Spanish, it doesn't belong to the languages I am able to read books in (those are German, English, French, Dutch and Esperanto) because I love Spanish authors and would love to read their books in the original. One day ...

    Happy New Year to you all,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete