Thursday 9 January 2014

2014 Postal Challenge

2014 Postal Challenge

Another interesting challenge I found through the Canadian bookworm blog.

The creator of the challenge thinks that in this day and age, the idea of handwritten and posted letters need all the help it can get. I totally agree. Everyone likes to receive handwritten letters, I enjoy writing them. So, trying to find some books based on letters seems like a good idea to me.

The rules and conditions are easy:
"The key is to read and review books with a postal theme. These can be non-fiction on the subject of letter writing, collections of real letters, or epistolary fiction of any era. Be creative! Review each one and link back to the challenge -- there will be quarterly roundup posts for you to link reviews and posts to as you create them."

There are four different levels to choose from:
Postcard Level: 4 books
Snail Mail Level: 8 books.
Parcel Post Level: 12 books
Air Mail Express Level: 12 books AND commit to sending at least 12 old fashioned letters this year.

I have no idea whether I will find 12 books based on letters but would love to send more letters. I think 12 will be possible, so I will sign up for the Air Mail Express Level which is totally appropriate because I have many friends overseas.


I don't think I have done very well with this one because I didn't pay much attention to the prompt as such. However, I have written letters and card during the year and there were certainly letters in these:
Austen, Jane "Emma
- "Mansfield Park"  

- "Northanger Abbey"
- "Persuasion"  
- "Pride & Prejudice
- "Sense & Sensibility"
Berry, Wendell "Hannah Coulter"
Dickens, Charles "The Pickwick Papers""
Faulkner, William "Light in August"
Fowles, John "The French Lieutenant’s Woman
Gaarder, Jostein "Sophie's World" (Sofies verden)
 
George, Margaret "Elizabeth I
Heller, Joseph "Catch-22
Montagu, Ewen "The Man Who Never Was"
Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich [Влади́мир Влади́мирович Набо́ков] "Lolita
Pamuk, Orhan "
My Father's Suitcase" (Babamın Bavulu)
- "Snow" (Kar)
Roth, Charlotte "Als wir unsterblich waren" [
When We Were Immortal]
Shields, Carol "The Stone Diaries"
Seth, Vikram "Two Lives
Tartt, Donna "The Goldfinch

Thackeray, William Makepeace "Vanity Fair, or, A Novel without a Hero"  

2 comments:

  1. So pleased to have you reading along with us! Look forward to seeing which books you discover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So am I. What a great idea for a genre to choose. I love reading and writing, so this is going to be great. The only thing I am afraid of is that I might not find enough new epistolary books to read but I hope to find many ideas on your page.

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete