Tuesday 6 August 2019

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Cover Redesigns I Loved/Hated


"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

August 6: Cover Redesigns I Loved/Hated

This is a pet peeve of mine and there really are too many to list them all. But they all come under one topic: Movie Pictures.

As soon as a book has been made into a movie, you will find that they issue a new book with a cover from that book. I suppose the intention is to sell more of the book to the people who watched the movie. I don't like that at all, it's almost as if the movie is forced upon me. I want to make up my own mind about the characters but if you present some actors to me that happen to be in the imagination of the director, it takes away part of my own imagination.

I will always try to buy an edition without a movie pictures, even if I have to go and look for a used copy.

11 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about book covers that have a film tie-in. While I think it's nice to have that option for fans who are into it, I really wish publishers would also have regular covers for the rest of us.

    This was something I first noticed back when the Lord of the Rings films came out years ago. I refused to buy new copies of those books until the hype died down and the publishers switched to other cover styles. Haha.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have done the same. And it's alright with big sellers like LotR because there usually are lots of editions already that are still on the market or they re-release them at some point. That's not always the case with smaller books and movies, though, unfortunately.

      Thanks for visiting and thanks for your link. I'll head over there to have a look.

      Happy Reading

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm not always a fan of movie cover changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked to many people who aren't and still they do it. I guess they sell more of the books to moviegoers than to readers.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of movie covers, either, but I have to admit that there are a few that I love, like the Good Omens cover or The Hobbit cover with Bilbo standing before the open door. I think they should be offered as special alternatives, but not pushed as much as they are, though.

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sammie. If I think hard, I might find one or the other cover that I don't mind that much but in general I think they should leave it like that.

      Thank you for your link. Just had a quick look at it and really liked, how you included covers from different countries. We've always had fun with that in our international book club where everyone had a different cover.

      I guess they sell a lot more with the movie titles.

      Delete
  4. Marketing is I guess a necessary evil in our world but I find it so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they will read my blog and change their mind. Hahaha!

      Delete
  5. Right? They're always the worst. I really don't like them 98% of the time. It's so frustrating. There have been maybe like two that I've liked in all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. That's why I didn't want to put them all here. LOL.

      Anyway, thanks for visiting. And happy reading.

      Delete
    2. Just tried to enter a comment on your page but don't have a password. Sorry.

      Delete