Thursday, 15 March 2012

Moore, Peter “No Shitting in the Toilet"

Moore, Peter “No Shitting in the Toilet - The travel guide for when you've really lost it” - 1997

When you travel around the world, you come upon all sorts of funny signs. Mostly, these are not intended to be funny, just a translation error, sometimes different cultures play a role, often it is just bad knowledge of the foreign language.

The title of this book stems from one of those signs, the Australian author found it in China. It must have been suggested to me by one of my Australian friends when I mentioned how much I loved Bill Bryson. Well, Peter Moore is just as funny and I don't know why I haven't read more of him (although, I do, I have a huge TBR pile I have to “work on” before I can buy more books).

Peter Moore can be very sarcastic, I love that. His accounts of getting around in foreign countries, meeting the locals, coming across oddities that are not odd to the natives. I loved his style, his “Aussie” slang, his stories, he can tell them so well, you almost think you've been to these places yourself. A very funny travel book with a twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment