Friday 8 June 2012

A Reader's Little Joys

One of the joys can just be the arrival of a new book. I tend to buy used copies, when and where available. Not only are they cheaper, they often have a history. And I love recycling.

The other day, one of those little gems arrived on my doorstep. The seller had mentioned that the book was "used, as new". That's not necessarily a guarantee, "as new" can mean a lot of things to different people but usually, it's pretty accurate. Alright, sometimes they don't really look "as new" any more but that's a small price to pay for having the books available that I really would like to read. Well, this one did. Looked as new. Even smelled as new. But the greatest thing of all, it had a little surprise waiting for me. When I opened the cover page, I noticed that the copy had been signed by the author.

Unfortunately, I am not able to go to many readings, so I don't get to talk to many authors personally and can't ask them for their autographs. I have a few but not many. So, this was really nice, especially since that wasn't mentioned at all.

Oh bliss, we can be delighted so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment