Zweig, Stefanie "Nowhere in Africa" (Nirgendwo in Afrika) - 1995
I reread "Nowhere in Africa" by Stephanie Zweig with an online book group, created by a friend for some of her friends on Facebook. Everybody suggested a book and then would "lead" through the discussion with some questions.
If you have not read the book before, I refer you to my review here.
If you have read it, you might want to go through my questions and maybe add a thought or two to it. Here they are:
1. What do you think of Jettel, the mother? Do you think there were many people in Germany who didn't see what was coming?
2. What about Regina? How do you think she will be feeling when she is being transplanted to Germany after the war?
3. Walter, the father, is mostly described as a caring father who just wants to bring his family through the war. In retrospect, this was the right decision. What do you think he would have thought if the war hadn't been like it was, if he'd transplanted his family for nothing?
4. Did you know that "Nowhere in Africa" is almost a memoir of the author Stefanie Zweig, that all this happened to her family, that she does have a younger brother called Max who was born in Africa, for example? If you did, how did that make you feel during the read. If not, do you think differently about the novel now?
5. Do you have the feeling that growing up in Africa has influenced the author's style? Did you feel her storytelling had a specific flow?
6. What do you think about the other characters, mainly Walter Süßkind and Lilly and Oskar Hahn but, even more important, Owuor? How do you think Walter and Owuor influence each other and change the other's life?
7. This book was made into a film and received the prize at the 75th Academy Awards in 2003 for Best Foreign Language Film. If you saw the film, how do you think it compared to the book? What would you have done differently if you'd been the director?
8. I like to learn something with every book I read. Whether you belong to those readers or not, what did you learn from the book?
9. Any other subjects I haven't touched that you would like to discuss?