Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Wilde, Oscar "The Nightingale and the Rose

Wilde, Oscar "The Nightingale and the Rose. Short Stories" - 1891

I'm not a big fan of short stories. I'm also not a big fan of reading plays. But - I am a big fan of Oscar Wilde, so I couldn't resist reading this.

"She said that she would dance with me if I brought her red roses," cried the young Student; "but in all my garden there is no red rose."

That's how this little story begins. A Nightingale hears this and helps the student to find the rose. The story does not end how we might like but short stories seldom do. They have a message they want to send in just a few pages. And Oscar Wilde, being the perfect writer he was, manages this perfectly.

I read this in a collection of short stories by Oscar Wilde and the other ones were also quite good.

Other works by Oscar Wilde here.

2 comments:

  1. Oscar Wilde writes with astonishing beauty, never better than in his fairytales (heartbreaking as they are)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge Oscar Wilde fan, I have enjoyed everything I read by him so far. If you are interested, I read a really good book about his wife (and him) last year, “Constance: The Tragic and Scandalous Life of Mrs. Oscar Wilde” by Franny Moyle.

    ReplyDelete