Thursday 20 February 2014

Collins, Suzanne "The Hunger Games"

Collins, Suzanne "The Hunger Games" - 2008 

I don't think I would have ever read this if it hadn't been for my facebook migraine group. I like dystopian novels but I think this had just too much hype.

It was more or less as I expected, a novel more directed at young people who enjoy reading about a different kind of world. Not to compare with "Nineteen Eighty-Four", "Brave New World",  "Fahrenheit 451", "The Handmaid’s Tale". We find in each of these four brilliant dystopian novels the fear of a different generation, explained through their tale. I don't think "The Hunger Games" quite reach that goal, it's probably more written to get a good movie deal and I think the author was successful with that.

From the back cover: "In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

2 comments:

  1. It pretty much bored me to tears and I won't read any of the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet, I always feel less weird when I know someone else doesn't like a book that everyone praises. I knew I wouldn't be but getting that response right away is brilliant. You've made my day.

      Have a great weekend,
      Marianne

      Delete