Friday 18 August 2017

Book Quotes of the Week



"Far more seemly were it for thee to have thy study full of books, than thy purse full of money." John Lyly

"We should be wary therefore what persecution we raise against the living labours of public men, how we spill that seasoned life of man, preserved and stored up in books; since we see a kind of homicide may be thus committed, sometimes a martyrdom, and if it extend to the whole impression, a kind of massacre; whereof the execution ends not in the slaying of an elemental life, but strikes at that ethereal and fifth essence, the breath of reason itself, slays an immortality rather than a life." John Milton

"Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books." Mary Ann Shaffer

"The best book is not one that informs merely, but one that stirs the reader up to inform himself." A.W. Tozer, Man The Dwelling Place Of God

"By eating we overcome hunger; and by study ignorance." Chinese Proverb

Find more book quotes here.

3 comments:

  1. The first one is so true, my credit card bill each month is mostly for books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mac n' Janet. Any extra money I have goes to books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with both of you here, I can never pass by a bookshop and I can never leave a bookshp without getting a new book ... vicious circle ....

    However, I also totally agree with Mary Ann Shaffer. The more I read, the more critical I get about bad books. It gets easier to eliminate them beforehand, though.

    Have a great reading week,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete