Tuesday 12 December 2017

Dickens, Charles "Oliver Twist"


Dickens, Charles "Oliver Twist" - 1838


One of the many classics by Charles Dickens I haven't read, yet.

Charles Dickens certainly is one of the best classic authors you can think of. His love of detail, his way of telling you every single event, describing every person, makes his era come alive.

I think most people have seen the movie "Oliver" which is a good musical. However, the book - as usual - is so much better, the characters are more lively, the scenes ring more true.

This is certainly one of his best novels - although, I haven't found one, yet, that I didn't love.

From the back cover:
"Dark, mysterious and mordantly funny, Oliver Twist features some of the most memorably drawn villains in all of fiction - the treacherous gangmaster Fagin, the menacing thug Bill Sikes, the Artful Dodger and their den of thieves in the grimy London backstreets. Dicken's novel is both an angry indictment of poverty, and an adventure filled with an air of threat and pervasive evil.

The Penguin English Library - 100 editions of the best fiction in English, from the eighteenth century and the very first novels to the beginning of the First World War."

4 comments:

  1. I have not read this one yet but I agree with you on Dickens. My next one by him will be A Tale of Two Cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is also a great one.
      You will find my review here.
      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  2. I liked this one too, but I think David Copperfield remains my favorite. Don't you just love the names of his characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Copperfield is still on my wishlist. I am sure I will erad it one day.

      And yes, the names are fantastic, in every sense of the word. Love them.

      Have a good day,
      Marianne

      Delete