Thursday 10 October 2013

Alice Munro to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature 2013

Every year, I eagerly await the announcement of the Nobel Prize winner for Literature. This year, Alice Munro has been chosen as the first Canadian to receive this prodigious prize. I have no idea why this big country has not received the prize before because I have read quite a few great books by its authors.

Now I have to ask myself this question: Should I be proud that I know the new recipient and have read something by her or should I be sad that I didn't find a new great author this way as I usually do? I think I am a little of both.

Congratulations not just to Alice Munro but to all my Canadian friends, one of whom even suggested her when I asked the question "who would be your favourite Nobel Prize winner" on my facebook page a couple of days ago.

Alice Munro received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2013 for being the "master of the contemporary short story".

I have read "Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage" and "Runaway" by her.

Alice Munro received the Man Booker International Prize in 2009 for her lifetime body of work.

I contribute to this page: Read the Nobels and you can find all my blogs about Nobel Prize winning authors and their books here.

Photograph by Derek Shapton.

No comments:

Post a Comment