Tuesday 7 March 2023

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Passages to Silent House

 

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Passages to Silent House

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life by Gail Sheehy (Goodreads)

Same as last month (or as most months), I have not read our starter book. I'm not into self-help books. At all. Therefore, I didn't even have a close look at the content of this one. Sorry. I have only read one book with "passage" in the title and that leads me nowhere.

Therefore, I will start with a book written by another author with the name Gail.

Gail
Brumbeau, Jeff/de Marcken, Gail "The Quiltmaker’s Gift" - 2001
This is a beautiful book with great illustrations about the most beautiful quilts ever.

Gift
Lindberg, Anne Morrow "A Gift from the Sea" - 1955
A nice little book to meditate and think about where your life is going.

Sea
Allende, Isabel "Island Beneath the Sea" (E: La isla bajo el mar) - 2010
A great description of life on a plantation, first in the Caribbean, later in Louisiana, the life of the slaves and the free, lots of history, an incredibly rich account of the lives people had to lead.

Island
Bryson, Bill "Notes from a Small Island" - 1995
You can tell Bill Bryson loves the UK and its people, he knows their habits, their humour (especially their great humour), their towns and their countryside, and their history.

Small
Trollope, Anthony "The Small House at Allington" - 1864
Part 5 of the Barchester Chronicles 5. The author is able to portray some very lively and modern personae, describe life at the end of the 19th century in a very interesting and accessible way and write a fascinating and enthralling story.

House
Pamuk, Orhan "Silent House" (TR: Sessiz Ev) - 1983
Turkey in the late 20th century. Three siblings, a sister and two brothers, visit their grandmother who lives outside of Istanbul. Everyone seems to have their own problems. 


📚📚📚

There we are. I managed to sneak in some of my favourite authors. Does the first book have something in common with the last? Well, the subtitle of the starter book is
Predictable Crises of Adult Life and there are crises in the lives of all the characters in the last book, let us take that as a link.

* * * * *

I am not feeling too well at the moment. My regular followers will have noticed. So, I am a little late with my Six Degrees of Separation but since I prepared it already, at least I can post it now.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're not well. I hope it's nothing too serious and that you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. So nice of you to wish me well.

      Delete
  2. Hope you can stay inside, avoid the bad weather, and make a good recovery!

    I have read a few books by Anne Morrow Lindbergh but the one I liked best was Bring Me a Unicorn. I have never read Bill Bryson because I am not that interested in nonfiction but I know he is quite amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Constance. Since we are retired, I can take it as easy as possible. As you can see, I don't even blog as much as usual.

      I have only read this one by Anne Morrow Lindbergh but it was quite nice. Not my usual type of literature. Same as you with your non-fiction books. I still think you would like Bill Bryson, especially his travel books, they read like fiction.

      Delete
  3. Better late than never! You just take good care of yourself. That's more important than a meme or your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. You are so right. And I only do what I can, it wasn't a lot of work to just post this but even that was too much on Saturday.

      Delete
  4. I also skipped this one too, LOL! I had not read Passages and I just couldn't get it to go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not my thing, Cindy. I have read books for my book clubs that I wasn't keen on but for a challenge like this, I don't think that's the purpose. Though, having said that, I have read a few of the books when I saw them as the starter.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you are not feeling too well.
    I hope spring is coming to your place and you will feel good again. Anything I could do for you?
    Congrats on your keyword chain!
    I was curious if I could have started with Gail. Yes indeed. I didn't write a review, but I LOVED this novel, one of these hidden gems: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51113.The_Samurai_s_Garden.
    Highly recommended.
    Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. That is so kind of you. Looks like after three years evading Covid, it finally reached us. But I think the worst is over, so thank you for your lovely offer.
      Spring is here. We've only had a day or two of a teeny tiny bit of snow, I really can't call it a winter. It's cold some days and we've had our fair bit of rain (as always in our part of the world) but compared to many, we've really been not bad off.

      I'll have to check out your Gail book. It was really the only one where I could start. Glad you liked my chain.

      Delete