Friday 1 December 2023

Happy December!

   Happy December to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch

"Fischerboote im norwegischen Winter"
"
Fishing boats in the Norwegian winter"

Hanka and Frank say to this picture:
Snow clouds in Sanitz are a rather rare occurrence. In order to find our winter dream, Hanka and I often travel during the Norwegian winter.
Schneewolken in Sanitz sind ein eher seltenes Ereignis. Um unseren Wintertraum zu finden, sind Hanka und ich oft im norwegischen Winter unterwegs.

(see here)

Another great watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch. Enjoy!

Read more on their website here. *
 
 * * * 
 


Fishing boats are always special. I have not been to the sea in winter often, so this is an even lovlier picture for me. We might have to go to Scandinavia in the colder months one year.
 
 * * * 
 
November was very rainy, just as I remember most Novembers. But I still prefer them to the hot summers we have been getting lately.
 
November is always the time to think about our beloved departed ones. My parents died eight and nine years ago. Time flies, I still cannot believe they are gone.
 
* * *

And here's another German word that I just thought of which might be interesting: Quadratlatschen

This means more or less square slippers.

Latschen is a colloquial (and degrading) word for shoes or rather slippers. Quadrat is a square. Not reallly a shape that sounds comfortable for a foot, though it stands more for large slippers.

Do you have words like that in your language?

 
* * *

* You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about the two artists. 

* * *
🎄 I wish you all a happy December! 🎄 

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful portrait! Thank you for sharing.

    I always appreciate German's straightforwardness. Need a word for gloves? "Hand shoes"! One word that comes to mind in response to your question is "catty-corner", which means (essentially) diagonally opposite. I had NO idea where it could come from, but after a little digging it's an Anglicized use of the French "quatre".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen. We are not only like that with words and it's the main thing I missed when living abroad and among other nations. If something is black, don't say it's gray or even white. I want to know your really opinion. Not many people are happy with that. But you often feel betrayed if they don't do what they say.

      I have never heard the word catty-corner and think it is highly interesting. I read it was used to describe the way the dots are placed on a dice positioned at number four, diagonally from one another. Which reminds me that a lot of people don't know that the opposite numbers on a dice always add up to seven.

      In any case, thanks a lot for your contribution. I love languages and there is always a lot to learn, even in your native one.

      Delete
  2. Happy December! I love that watercolor--so pretty with the boats and the snow. And cold. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I met Frank on social media, he is the friend on Facebook of another friend whom I met through a chatroom when they first came up. And I have been a huge fan of the couple's paintings ever since.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Marianne, happy December to you. I like December, all the preparations for Christmas. In Sweden we decorate with lights, which make the darkness disappear a little bit. I like the fishing boats, and the mountains in the back ground.
    Funny word for slippers. I am sure we have some words like that in Swedish, but can't think of any now. Will get back to you if I come up with something.
    Enjoy December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to that. I love Swedish, such a lovely language.
      I'm doing fine with preparations but I always get nervous, I want to do too many things.
      Have a happy December.

      Delete
    2. My mother used to use the word "Quadratlatschen"! I had completely forgotten about it. By the way, whenever I see the name "Hanka," I have to think of the "The Tale of Two Bad Mice" with Hunca Munca . . .

      Delete
    3. Haha, nice, Eva. It still gets used like when you say put your shoes away ... nimm mal deine Quadratlatschen da weg. LOL
      I never read that book. Or heard of it, will have to investigate.

      Delete
    4. So true! That is exactly what my mother said, or she would say "Nimm sie aus dem Weg." That story I mentioned is wonderful and a very short read.

      Delete
    5. I will have to check for it. Thanks, Eva.

      Delete
    6. I just noticed it's a Beatrix Potter book. I thought it was by "Hunca Munca". LOL

      Delete
    7. Ah, no, that is the name of one of the mice!!!!

      Delete