Monday 4 December 2023

Spell the Month in Books ~ December

           
Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

December: Winter, Christmas, or Christian themes
What a lovely idea for December. We don't have any winters anymore, nothing like when I was little. But I remember always thinking of Christmas and winter together.

DECEMBER
D
Pasternak, Boris "Doctor Zhivago" (RUS: Доктор Живаго) - 1957
I always have to think about winter when thinking about Doctor Zivago. A big part of the story takes place in one of the coldest parts on earth.

E
Wharton, Edith "
Ethan Frome" - 1911
Another good story about life under harsh circumstances, again in winter.

C
Dickens, Charles "A
Christmas Carol" - 1843
Who doesn't know Scrooge, a miser who gets healed at Christmas?

E
Sturluson, Snorri "
Egil's Saga" (Icel: Egils saga Skallagrímssonar) - 1240
Northern Europe, especially Iceland, always makes us think about snow and cold winters.


M
Ali, Sabahattin "Madonna in a Fur Coat" (TR: Kürk Mantolu Madonna) - 1943
While Turkey doesn't make one immediately think about cold weather, a fur coat certainly belongs to winter.

B
Robinson, Barbara "The
Best Christmas Pageant" - 1972
A beautiful part of Christmas is always the little plays the children perform for their parents and other spectators.

E
Austen, Jane "
Emma" - 1816
I know I've used Emma before but there are so many parts in that story are set in winter, especially the outing to the Westons.

R
Rutherfurd, Edward "
Russka. The Novel of Russia" - 1991
Another book about Russia where a lot of winters take place over the centuries.

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

13 comments:

  1. I'm rereading Emma on my short lunch break at work right now and I just read that scene with her in the carriage returning home after dining at the Westons in the snowstorm with Mr. Elton proposing to her...so funny! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Emma, Lark. Jane Austen said she supposed Emma would be her least loved character but I always liked the story. And yes, one of the many funny scenes. Definitely a classic.

      Delete
  2. "A Christmas Carol" is a must here. "Doctor Zhivago" I have only seen as a movie. Of course, we have read "Emma." We do have "The Best Christmas Pageant." It is funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Eva. A Christmas Carol is a classic that defintily is a story for winter. Doctor Zhivago is one of my all-time favourite movies and books. They even made it into a new mini-series with Keira Knightley as Lara. Of course, it's always Keira. I like her but there is a whole generation growing up thinking everyone in the past looked like her. ;)
      And The Christmas Pageant, my sons both played in it when they once did it at their school. Such a funny but also lovely late.

      Delete
    2. Interesting about the mini-series. I guess I don't know much about the actors in the movie. I think I saw it when I was in my early teens.

      Delete
    3. That must be the original movie with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie. Just beautiful.

      Delete
  3. A great list of books for winter and December. I always remember the beautiful winter scenes in the Dr Zhivago film. So beautiful with the Lara's theme.
    I read Ethan Frome for Novellas in November and really loved it. There are indeed very good winter scenes, and you can feel and smell the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. I am glad I could get some good examples for winter. Doctor Zhivago is one of my all-time favourite movie.
      And Ethan Frome was starter book for "Six Degrees of Separation" and I read it because it was short. Great story.

      Delete
  4. You did great! I am not sure if I am ready for Winter or not...but I guess I better be because it's basically here, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. Thanks, Cindy. Even we had a little snow the other day. But I love it when it's colder, can't stand the heat.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. For sure. And we have used so many Es over the year, February, June, September, October, November, that's eight already, plus the three in December. I don't like to use the same books again and again, that makes it harder. But in the end, we somehow always manage.
      Thanks for your visit, Davida.

      Delete