Saturday, 1 August 2026

Happy August!

 Happy August to all my Friends and Readers
New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Hanka Koebsch
"Sommer auf Bornholm"
"Summer on Bornholm"

Hanka and Frank say to this picture:
"We discovered a beautiful Danish island: Bornholm. Just a few hours by ferry, and we find ourselves in a Scandinavian paradise. Granite cliffs, archipelago landscapes, turquoise waters, and fine sandy beaches—it has it all.
"Wir haben eine wunderschöne dänische Insel entdeckt: Bornholm. Nur wenige Stunden mit der Fähre und wir befinden uns in einem skandinavischen Paradies. Granitfelsen, Schärenlandschaften, türkisblaues Meer und feine Sandstrände - alles ist möglich."

I really envy Hanka and Frank to be so close to Scandinavia, one of my favourite parts of this world. But as long as I can't go, I can always enjoy the pictures those two wonderful artists paint.

Read more on their website here. *

* * *

The month started with a holiday in Dunkirk. We chose the hottest month of the year (well, so far) but it was still nice, our son had found a great place to stay just at the seaside.

* * *

Other than that, not a good month. We buried my brother, then his wife was diagnosed with cancer, his mother-in-law had a stroke and then my other brother's mother-in-law died. I am glad this month is over. What does D:Ream say: 

"Things can only get better!"

* * *

We still managed to see some friends, play some games and have a barbecue in between. That was some comfort.

And same as last year, we went to that Irish-Scottish folk festival near Bremen where we saw three different acts. It was lovely but also quite stressful sitting on those wooden benches 
for six hours. Still, lots of lovely music, different from last year, though they all played Molly Malone. ;) We meant to take my sister-in-law but she was too sick, unfortunately.

* * *

New German expression of the month?

"Fremdschämen" (literally strange and ashamed)
The feeling of shame on someone else's behalf

I know we all know the feeling but do you have a word for that?

* * * 

I have read a few books last month (as usual) but there is only one that I might recommend to everybody: Jeeves and the Wedding Bells by Sebastian Faulks. Written in the good old P.G. Wodehouse style, a must for all his fans.

* * *

* * *

* You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about the two artists. 

* * *

🌊🌞 I wish you all a very Happy August! 🌞🌊

3 comments:

  1. I'm *so* sorry that July was such a bad month for you! Hopefully things CAN only get better from here. I do wish so.

    Maybe it'll even start to get a bit cooler? It'll even be nice to see a bit of rain (although once it starts I'm expecting it to go on for 8 months at least).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely art. Seemed like a nice place to just sit and relax.

    I hope August will be good to you.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very difficult month. I hope the rest of the summer improves. I was in Ireland last week and the heat was difficult, especially when dragging around a heavy suitcase and all the books I had purchased.

    ReplyDelete