Tuesday 7 June 2016

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Ten Reasons I Love Classic Literature



"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here

June 7: Ten Reasons I Love Classic Literature

- could be a certain book, character, author, your indie bookstore, a fandom, a tv show, reading, a hobby, a genre. Honestly anything you want to gush about.

1. Good stories. No matter how old, the stories are still valid today. People haven't changed all that much, neither have their dreams and ambitions.

2. Quality. These books have been read over centuries by so many people and are still on the best-selling lists. That must mean something.

3. Language. Classic authors use so much vocabulary, a lot of it has gone lost in the meantime. They also express themselves so well. I learned a lot of my English through classic novels.

4. Knowledge. There is a lot to learn from history and reading classic novels teaches us more than what the Bennetts had for breakfast.

5. Challenge. I know many people find them too hard but that's just the nice thing about them, they challenge the brain, it's like exercise for your intellect, reading a 1,000 page long story by Tolstoy is like jogging every day.

6. Pleasure. You can read those books again and again, they are always "new" again. As Meg Ryan says about "Pride & Prejudice" in "You've Got Mail": "I'm always in agony over whether Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy are going to get together."

7. Learning. We might not learn anything new about this world but we will definitely learn more about us. Reading a classic is as much a soul searching trip as it is reading a novel

8. Book Cover. You can buy the books in so many different forms nowadays. I have a couple of really nice editions of my favourites. Just looking at them makes me feel happy.

9. Connection to the author. I always feel that with any book I read but even more with the classic authors I love and have read so much about.

10. Films. All of the classics have been turned into movies over and over again. We can see our favourite heroes and heroines in so many different ways.

10 comments:

  1. Great list! I don't read a lot of classic books, but some of your reasons are definitely why I have picked up the few I love!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy,

      I just visited your page and must say that it is a beautiful blog, even if we probably wouldn't put the same books at the top but there is quite a lot any book lover shares with other book lovers.

      I am glad you have found some classics you like and I am sure that the list will grow longer, I know mine has in the last couple of years.

      I know we will see more of each other in future. Until then, have a great day,
      Marianne

      Delete
  2. You are right! I love classics, although they are never quick reads for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb,

      I don't think they are quick reads for anybody, maybe that's what I like about them so much. I always like to enrich my life through a book and classics give me a lot.

      I visited your page yesterday and loved your list about how you love authors. Thank you for that.

      Hope we will be able to discuss some of the classics you love in the future.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete
  3. I agree with all 10 of your reasons. Especially 4,5,and 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you love learning just as much as I do. When I left school many decades ago, I was so sad that I couldn't learn anymore. Little did I know that I was only beginning. Learning is the best part of life.

      Thanks for stopping by,
      Marianne

      Delete
  4. Other than Jane Austen, I'm not a big fan of adult Classics. But I love chidlren's Classics.

    My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit. Yes, we all have different kinds of tastes. I love that you like Jane Austen, though, she is my favourite. ♥

      Anyway, I visited your list but couldn't comment, how do I sign up for that?

      I'm not a big fan of audiobooks, I just don't retain much, it goes in one ear and out the other. I'm a very visual person, have to see (and touch) everything. But I really liked your reasons for liking audiobooks.

      Have a good weekend,
      Marianne

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting, sorry for your difficulties. If you want to comment as a guest you go just below the green "Sign Up" button and fill in the Nickname & captcha (sorry it's math, Booklikes controls that), then you press comment and a comment box opens up.

      Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I know it's not you. I just wish the different blog sites would work better together. But I guess they hope people will change their site if they make it difficult. I've been with blogpost for quite a while and I'm quite happy with it for me, it's easy but still offers a lot of features. And I'm sure you think the same about your site.

      I will try again. Thanks for explaining.
      Marianne

      Delete