Tuesday 12 July 2016

The 10 Greatest Books Ever, According to 125 Top Authors


The 10 Greatest Books Ever, According to 125 Top Authors (Download Them for Free)

125 Authors have chosen the 10 greatest books ever written. A fantastic list has come together. And if you have an e-reader, you can download them all for free here.

1. Tolstoy, Leo (Лев Николаевич Толстой) "Anna Karenina" (Russian: Анна Каренина = Anna Karenina) - 1877
2. Flaubert, Gustave "Madame Bovary" (French: Madame Bovary: Mœurs de province) - 1857
3. Tolstoy, Lew Nikolajewitsch (Лев Николаевич Толстой) "War and Peace" (Russian: Война и мир = Woina I Mir) - 1868/69
4. Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich [Влади́мир Влади́мирович Набо́ков] "Lolita" - 1955
5. Twain, Mark "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" - 1884
6. Shakespeare, William "Hamlet" - 1599-1602
7. Fitzgerald, F. (Francis) Scott "The Great Gatsby" - 1925
8. Proust, Marcel "In Search of Lost Time" (French: À la recherche du temps perdu) - 1913-27
9. Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich (Анто́н Па́влович Че́хов) - Stories, any of them
10. Eliot, George "Middlemarch" - 1871-72
There is a list of them here.

So far, I have read 7 of them but they are all on my wishlist.

A very international list. 4 works by Russian authors, 2 by French, 2 by English, 2 by Americans. I'm just sad there is no German book among them but I suppose if there was, it would be this one:

Mann, Thomas "Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family" (German: Buddenbrooks) - 1901

2 comments:

  1. I have only read four. I might die before I read War and Peace. I like long books but...I did see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Which movie did you watch? This one from 1956 with Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda and Mel Ferrer or the mini-series from 2016 with Lily James, James Norton and Paul Dano? The latter is WAY better, written by Andrew Davies, the same guy who did the 1995 Pride & Prejudice version.

      Anyway, I do recommend the book, it's really great.

      And my I ask which four you have read?

      Have a good day,
      Marianne

      Delete