Friday 8 December 2017

My Life in Books Tag

Another tag to steal! I found this list here on one of the Blogs I follow, You, Me and a Cup of Tea and thought it was a lovely idea.

Find a book for each of your initials
M - "My Name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk
M - "Middlemarch" by George Eliot
I don't have a middle initial and the two I have are the same but I still found some.

Count your age along your bookshelf... What book is it?
Gao, Xingjian "Soul Mountain" (Chinese: 灵山, língshān) - 1989

Pick a book set in your country
Mann, Thomas "Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family" (German: Buddenbrooks) - 1901

Pick a book that represents a destination you'd love to travel to
Bryson, Bill "Down Under/In a Sunburned Country" - 2000

Pick a book that is your favorite colour
Green is my favourite colour, followed closely by blue. Now, while there are a lot of books in blue, I could hardly find one in green. However, my favourite dictionary company in Germany publishes their books in green and here is one of the best:


Which book do you have fondest memories of
It is so tough to choose a book here because there are so many that bring back the best memories.
So, after thinking about it for quite a while, I've come up with this one, it was the first book I read in a book club and I have read so many other great books ever since and met the loveliest people by discussing them.
Bernières, Louis de "Captain Corelli’s Mandolin" - 1994

Which book did you have the most difficulty reading
Joyce, James "Ulysses" - 1922

Which book on your TBR pile will give you the biggest accomplishment when you read it?
I think after "Ulysses", I'm ready for anything. If I look at the length of the books on my TBR pile, the next challenging is probably:
Kermani, Navid "Dein Name" [Your Name] - 2011


Well that's it! Feel free to steal the tag if you so desire!

4 comments:

  1. I love to look over my shelves and reminisce about books I have read. It was fun to read about your choices here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. One of the best parts of keeping the books.

      And I can never withstand a challenge like this, so lovely to think back about all the great books I was able to read.

      Delete
  2. Great answers. Ulysses is indeed very difficult. I like that we share love for Orhan Pamuk's books, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. So happy that you came here to look at "my life". When I posted this, Ulysses was probably the most difficult book I ever read. I think I found one that was even harder, "The Satanic Verses". We read it as a "buddy read" and I am glad we did. I doubt I would have finished it and even if, it definitely would not given me as much as it has now.

      I absolutely love Orhan Pamuk. I wish I could read his works in the original.

      Delete