Tuesday 1 October 2019

Happy October!

Happy October to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Hanka Koebsch


"Ich mal dann mal die Blätter bunt"
"I will then paint the leaves"



October is the month where they give us our normal time back.
I always say they steal us an hour every day all summer long and then only return that hour once.

In medieval times, October was a holy month and many preferred to get married then.

The Germanic name for October was Ƿinterfylleþ which means "Winter Full Moon". Yes, winter was about to start.
Germanic names were Weinmonat (Month of the Wine) or Gilbhart (yellow and hard, the leaves are changing their colours).
In Germany, we still call the month Goldener October (Golden October).

The flower of the month is the Calendula aka Marigold and it stands for winning grace, protection, comfort, healing, lovable. 
The marigold is sometimes called "little lover", it always turns to the sun, it's meaning in the language of love is "jealousy".

Have a happy October with this beautiful watercolour painting by Hanka Koebsch. Do you see how much fun this kid has playing with the leaves? We should all do that from time to time.


You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here.

5 comments:

  1. I've been pretty quiet for the last month. The reason is easy, we moved back to Germany after my husband retired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retirement means many things to different people. For me it has been both the burden and the honor of caring for my Mother for many years. It seemed burdensome sometimes when I would grow weary or sad; then a funny (usually outrageous) thing would happen with Mother and my heart would soar that I had the opportunity for that moment. Since she died it has taken me a few years to recover but now I am feeling renewed and eager to learn new things, read many books, have new experiences. I am approaching 80 yrs old and my body tells me I must make good use of my time. That is one of the reasons I am so glad I have known you. I wish you good health, good wealth and a wonderful day - every day. Your Bookish Friend, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley.
      I know the feeling about losing your mother, it is very sad. At least you know you cared for her as long as she needed you, that must be a good feeling. I was not around my parents in their final years but my brothers were. I tried to do as much as possible, like calling them every day but it was a lot less than I would have liked to do. At least now I know I can help my brothers if they need me and pay them back for what they have done for my parents.

      Thank you for your good wishes, Shirley. You have such a kind heart. And I am glad to know you, as well.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete
  3. Happy October to you! I was happy to enter the month while in the beautiful setting of Lassen Volcanic National Park. There was even snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I saw that in the meantime. Serves me well for neglecting the blog for so long. ;) But you know why.

      Anyway, the Park looks beautiful, I have googled some more pictures.

      Have a good rest of the month.

      Delete