Thursday 30 March 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Istanbul - Memories of a City

Pamuk, Orhan "Istanbul - Memories of a City" (aka Istanbul - Memories and a City) (Turkish: İstanbul: Hatıralar ve Şehir) - 2003

Orhan Pamuk is one of my absolute favourite authors. I have been to Istanbul in 1984 and was very impressed with the city.

If I hadn't loved Istanbul already, I certainly would so now. Orhan Pamuk grew up in Istanbul and knows the city better than many, I would say. With this book, he wrote a love letter to a city.

If Istanbul is considered the bridge between East and West, Orhan Pamuk should be declared the ambassador between the two worlds.

Orhan Pamuk "who in the quest for the melancholic soul of his native city has discovered new symbols for the clash and interlacing of cultures" received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2006.

Orhan Pamuk received the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade (Friedenspreis) in 2005.

I contribute to this page: Read the Nobels and you can find all my blogs about Nobel Prize winning authors and their books here.

Read my original review here

9 comments:

  1. I've *heard* of this author but never read anything by him. The Istanbul book does look very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only non-fiction I read by him, Kitten. You might be interested in it. He is a fantastic author. Try him one day.

      Delete
  2. I love Pamuk's My Name is Red! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favourite novels by him, Lark.

      Delete
  3. I think this is a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Thanks for joining in. Sounds like a good one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I know how quickly that happens, I have that same problem on other accounts. I can only comment on yours when I change to Chrome but since I know that, we can communicate.
      But yes, it is a very good book. I hope some of the other bloggers will read it.

      Delete