Saturday 19 May 2012

Milne, A. A. "Winnie the Pooh"


Milne, A. A. (Alan Alexander) "Winnie the Pooh" - 1926

Which child doesn't like Winnie the Pooh? Well, I didn't, because I didn't even know he existed. I grew up outside of the English literature world, well, at least until I started secondary school. So, I read him later, when I was an adult.

I love Winnie and all his friends, especially his human friend Christopher Robin and the boisterous Tigger, but also curious little Piglet, wise old Owl, gloomy Eeyore, kind Kanga and her little son Roo.

I love the description of where Pooh lives namely "under the name Sanders" in a house in the Hundred Acre Wood, the double meaning says it all and sets the tone for this rather funny and psychological children's story.

It is so beautifully written and there is so much story, so much heart in it, that you can read it at any age and enjoy it.

From the back cover:

"AA Milne, born in 1882, based the characters of Pooh Bear, Eeyore the Donkey, Piglet, Tigger, Kanger and Roo on his son, Christopher Robin's real nursery toys. The Milne family live in Ashdown Forest and the stories of their adventures are based there."

No comments:

Post a Comment