Saturday 1 September 2018

Happy September!


Happy September to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch


"Lasst uns Laterne gehen"
"Let's Walk with the Lanterns"



September is the month when my favourite season starts: Autumn. An old Germanic name for this month is also "autumn moon". It always starts with the same day of the week as December. 

The birthstone for this month is the sapphire which is attributed to the planet Saturn. The name comes from a Latin word for blue and the stone is generally blue, though there are other varieties. 

A sapphire jubilee is celebrated after 65 years, so quite a long time. 

Coming to the lovely picture, a tradition in Germany is for little kids to walk around with Lanterns in the autumn. In recent years, it is usually done for the feast of St. Martin in November but when I was little, it was done all throughout the autumn, hence the picture, I suppose. You can buy many ready-made lanterns nowadays but it's always fun to make your own and many playgroups and elementary schools still do this with kids. 

So, enjoy this month with this beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch.

You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here.

2 comments:

  1. I love that watercolor! Happy September Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. I think this is one of my favourites, especially since it brings back many happy memories.

      Happy September to you, too, Judy. It has always been my favourite month.

      Delete