Friday 31 August 2018

Book Quotes of the Week


"Reading is a gymnasium for the imagination where people can work out, get ready for the shocks of existence." Robert Hass

"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." Samuel Johnson

"The crime of book purging is that it involves a rejection of the word. For the word is never absolute truth, but only man’s frail and human effort to approach the truth. To reject the word is to reject the human search." Max Lerner

"I read old books because I would rather learn from those who built civilization than those who tore it down." N.N.

[If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.]

Find more book quotes here.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know the originator of that last quote but I do like reading old books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, I always feel sorry for those people who say they don't like classics. People have been reading and enjoyed them for generations, they can't be bad. And they usually aren't. Some might be outdated but not very many among them. They haven't become classics for nothing.

      Delete