Monday 26 February 2024

Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road"

Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road" - 1961

For the Classics Spin #36, we received #20 and this was my novel.

A story about a young American couple in the 1950s. They go through the typical problems many young couples have, not enough money, too little time for each other because the children need a lot of it, just the usual couple, you would think. However, they are both pretty selfish and therefore can't deal with the usual problems.

All in all, I found this quite a depressing story, nothing too exciting, just listening to a bunch of selfless people fighting each other. I doubt I will read another book by the author.

From the back cover:

"In the hopeful 1950s, Frank and April Wheeler appear to be a model American couple: bright, beautiful, talented, with two young children and a starter home in the suburbs. Perhaps they married too young and started a family too early. Maybe Frank's job is dull. And April never saw herself as a housewife. Yet they have always lived on the assumption that greatness is only just around the corner. But now that certainty is now about to crumble. With heartbreaking compassion and remorseless clarity, Richard Yates shows how Frank and April mortgage their spiritual birthright, betraying not only each other, but their best selves."

7 comments:

  1. This one does sound depressing. Why do authors choose to write such hopeless stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. Good question. I suppose they write what is in them. And they want to awaken people. Just a guess.

      Delete
  2. I've looked at this a few times over the years - especially after the movie came out - but never picked it up. Looks like it was the *right* decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was, Kitten. On the other hand, there are people who "enjoy" it. Otherwise, how is this a success?
      I like to read quite different books and therefore am always open to something new but this was the one and only Richard Yates I will read. Too many good authors around and too many books I still want to read.

      Delete
    2. Indeed: Each to their own and all that. True also on *so* many good books & authors out there. If you don't like one, its time to try someone new. That's the fun of reading.

      Delete
  3. I must say, I quite enjoyed it. I thought it was a story of the time frame, where I think a lot of women were frustrated about their lives. They did not have a funny life, but I imagine that it was rather realistic. Coming from a non American, so my ideas of the time might be totally wrong. I have not read anything else by him, but would not mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone enjoyed it, Lisbeth. It wasn't just the life they led, yes, I imagine it might be quite realistic. I just didn't care much for his style, I guess. He threw in too much unimportant stuff and left out what could have been a good story.

      Delete