Friday 2 February 2024

Spell the Month in Books ~ February

           
Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

February: Comfort Read

Comfort Read means something different to everyone. I'm not happy with "easy reads" but there are always those that challenge our minds but are still "nice".

I'm looking forward to seeing what other bloggers will come up with. Here is my month of comfort reads:

FEBRUARY
F
Agus, Milena "From the Land of the Moon" (IT: Mal di Pietre) - 2006
This is a short but very powerful story about family history, told by the granddaughter of the woman in question. Maybe not the ideal "comfort read" for many but I can identify with the protagonist which makes it a good read.

E
Austen, Jane "Emma" - 1816
Jane Austen is alwas a good read and since one of her heroines starts with E, it had to be this one..

B
Bourgeois, Paulette "Big Sarah's Little Boots" - 1988
Some might be surprised that I list a children's book. This was one of those that I read and re-read with my children and it always reminds me of the time when they were little. What more is there to say?

R
Chevalier, Tracy "Remarkable Creatures" - 2009
Tracy Chevalier is a great author and this is one of her favourites. What's not to like about a book about the girl who discovered dinosaurs?

U
Hanks, Tom "Uncommon Type. Some Stories" - 2017
Short stories about a typewriter by a brilliant actor who also seems to be a brilliant author..

A
Atkinson, John "Abridged Classics" - 2018
Hundred classics that you can read in five minutes. Do one at a time and you always have something to laugh.

R
Kaminer, Wladimir "Russian Disco" (GE: Russendisko) - 2000
The author is one of the many Russian-Germans that came to Germany shortly after the wall came down. This is a book about all of his compatriots who - like him - ended up in Berlin. His short stories tell us how he got to know his new country by exploring Berlin and finding his way into the discos that were often led by Russians. A hilarious author with a serious background.

Y
Johnson, Maureen; Cooper, Jay "Your Guide to Not Getting Murdered in a Quaint English Village" - 2021
If you like to watch the British crime series "Midsomer Murders", you know right away what we are talking about. The authors must have watched the series and drew their conclusions.

* * *

These are definitely some books you can read in between.

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

8 comments:

  1. Emma is a good comfort read. I just finished rereading that one. And I love John Atkinson's Abridged Classics! They make me smile every time. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lark. Yes, all of Jane Austen's books are good for that. Maybe except for my least favourite, Northanger Abbey. But it's still a good read.
      And the Abridge Classics are just too funny. I have to get them out from time to time, especially when I need a good laugh.

      Delete
  2. Fun list, well except Emma lol.
    I have quickly been through your last book, lots of fun.
    Here is my post: https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/02/05/spell-the-month-in-books-february-2024/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like Emma, Emma?? LOL
      Nice that you checked out the book. Glad you liked it. It is indeed so much fun.

      Delete
    2. Oh you don't know: I just cannot stand Austen, sorry

      Delete
    3. Oh, no, I didn't know. It probably never came up. Well, we can't all like the same stuff.

      Delete
  3. Austen is always a good, and comfort, read, as is Chevalier. The others I am not familiar with, except Tom Hanks' book which I have read. I was not entirely happy with it, but it is about ordinary people and ordinary lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Lisbeth. I just had to include one of the Jane Austen books. And since E was the only letter that fitted, it had to be Emma.
      I quite liked Tom Hanks' book even though short stories are not my thing. But we all have different views.
      Have a good day.

      Delete