Tuesday 16 January 2024

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #36

        

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post, this time before next Sunday 21st January 2024, and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we have time until Sunday 3rd of March 2024 to read it.

This time, I read only the one book from my old list (Classics Spin #35). But there are always some new books that I can add to my challenge. The books are all in chronological order.

1.    Aristophanes "Lysistrata and Other Plays" (Lysistrata) - 411BC
2.    Dickens, Charles "Nicholas Nickleby. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" - 1838/39
3.    Dumas, Alexandre fils "Camille: The Lady of the Camellias" (La Dame aux Camélias" - 1848
4.    Brontë, Charlotte "The Professor" - 1857
5.    Turgenjew, Iwan Sergejewitsch "Fathers and Sons" (Отцы и дети/Otzy i deti) - 1862
6.    Conrad, Joseph "Victory: An Island Tale" - 1915
7.    Hamilton, Cicely "William - an Englishman" - 1920
8.    Hesse, Hermann "Wir nehmen die Welt nur zu ernst" [We just take the world too seriously] - 1928
9.    Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" - 1929
10.   Hemingway, Ernest "A Farewell to Arms" - 1929
11.   Meigs, Cornelia "Invincible Louisa" - 1933
12.   Orwell, George "The Road to Wigan Pier" - 1937
13.   Du Maurier, Daphne "Rebecca" - 1938
14.   Krleža, Miroslav "On the Edge of Reason" (Na rubu pameti) - 1938
15.   Némirovsky, Irène "Les biens de ce monde" (All Our Wordly Goods) - 1941
16.   Cela, Camilo José "The Family of Pascal Duarte" (La Familia Duarte) - 1942
17.   Zweig, Stefan "Schachnovelle" (The Royal Game/Chess) - 1942
18.   Wilde, Oscar "Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast" - 1946
19.   Huxley, Aldous "Ape and Essence" - 1948
20.
   Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road" - 1961

For the Classics Spin #36, we received #20 and this is my novel:
Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road" - 1961

This is a great idea for all of us who want to read more classics. Go ahead, get your own list.

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

16 comments:

  1. I'm *aiming* at 12 Classics this year (one of which is on your list) and have reviewed one so far, with another in my review pile. My next read 'The Railway Children' by E Nesbit is a children's classic that I missed growing up and I have some more train related classics to come. There are SO many classics out there - something for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitten. 12 is a good number. I have just put together my statistics for 2023 and I have read 18 last year. I don't usually have a plan, I just like classics.
      I never read "The Railway Children", didn't even hear about it until moving to the UK. Maybe I should get that some day.
      And you are right, there are so many classics waiting to be read. Having said that, there are also some great new books, as well. Oh, decisions, decisions.

      Delete
    2. I managed 16 last year, including a few re-reads, a few books of classic shorts & a non-fiction classic. I should easily achieve 12 this year. Looking forward to it. I'm really getting the classic 'bug'.

      Delete
    3. Welcome to the club, Kitten.

      Delete
  2. I've only read Rebecca from your list, but that was decades ago. I have a different du Maurier on my list. The House on the Strand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read a book by her, Kelly. But I watched the movie about a hundred years ago. I think I still lived with my parents and I left there more than 40 years ago.

      Delete
  3. It's always fun to see your list of classics. I've read two: Rebecca and A Farewell to Arms. Rebecca is by far the better read imo. I hope you spin a good one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I know it will be a good one since I want to read all of them. LOL

      Delete
  4. I have read only 4 here, 13 is fabulous!
    Good luck!
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/01/16/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-36/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like that has to be the one, Emma, because you are the third commentator here who recommends it. We will see.
      Thanks for leaving your link.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm curious about that Hesse, and the title of the Wilde is the best.

    Of the seven I've read either Rebecca or Fathers and Sons would be favorite, both are great in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reese. Yes, they both sound intriguing in their own way. And you read seven of them, that's exciting. Which ones were the othes?

      Delete
  6. Revolutionary Road is a book that wowed me. And I'm curious about Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's exactly the one I am going to read, Deb. I'm looking forward to it even more now. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. Me, either. We'll see how I like him.

      Delete