Saturday 6 January 2024

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow to Books That Changed the World

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow to Books That Changed the World

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow (Goodreads). Again, I have not read the starter book. But maybe, someone would like to read it, so here is the description:

"In this exhilarating novel, two friends--often in love, but never lovers--come together as creative partners in the world of video game design, where success brings them fame, joy, tragedy, duplicity, and, ultimately, a kind of immortality.

On a bitter-cold day, in the December of his junior year at Harvard, Sam Masur exits a subway car and sees, amid the hordes of people waiting on the platform, Sadie Green. He calls her name. For a moment, she pretends she hasn't heard him, but then, she turns, and a game begins: a legendary collaboration that will launch them to stardom. These friends, intimates since childhood, borrow money, beg favors, and, before even graduating college, they have created their first blockbuster, Ichigo. Overnight, the world is theirs. Not even twenty-five years old, Sam and Sadie are brilliant, successful, and rich, but these qualities won't protect them from their own creative ambitions or the betrayals of their hearts.

Spanning thirty years, from Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Venice Beach, California, and lands in between and far beyond, Gabrielle Zevin's
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is a dazzling and intricately imagined novel that examines the multifarious nature of identity, disability, failure, the redemptive possibilities in play, and above all, our need to connect: to be loved and to love. Yes, it is a love story, but it is not one you have read before."

I don't think, I would like to read this book, even though it seems to be very much appreciated, but it's not the type of literature I enjoy.

But, I can use a word in the title and I always enjoy that. The starter word is, of course,
Tomorrow.

Harari, Yuval Noah "Homo Deus. A Brief History of Tomorrow" - 2016

Hawking, Stephen "A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes" - 1988

Haddon, Mark "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - 2003

Calvino, Italo "If on a Winter's Night a Traveller" (I: Se una notte d’inverno un viaggiatore) - 1979

Follett, Ken "Winter of the World" (Century Trilogy #2) - 2012

Taylor, Andrew James "Books That Changed the World" - 2008


📚📚📚

Unfortunately, there is no link between the first and the last book. One is a novel, the other one a non-fiction about books. But about a lot of books. Who knows whether "Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow" isn't going to change the world?

13 comments:

  1. OOH, If on a Winter's Night... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I love it, too. One of my favourite books ever.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is interesting, Sarah. I just learned that it has a different title in the US: The World Between Two Covers. Why do they always have to do that!!!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see Calvino here!
    I also started with Tomorrow:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/01/06/six-degrees-of-separation-from-tomorrow-to-the-last-days/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I just saw it and commented. To have an absolute fantastic author on your list: José Saramago. Love him.

      Delete
  4. The places in this book are places where we have been: Jonathan is at Harvard now and we all spent a semester in the LA area (and know Venice Beach).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Eva. So, did you read the book or would you like to?

      Delete
    2. No, I have not read it. I think I would have to read more about it before deciding if I wanted to read it.

      Delete
    3. Sure, I am not convinced it is a book for me, so I have not tackled it. I have far too many books on my TBR pile already in order to just add one like this randomly. But I would have liked to know whether you liked it had you read it.

      Delete
    4. If I ever get a chance to look into it, I will let you know :).

      Delete
    5. Thank you, Eva. I guess you would describe it on your blog, as well.

      Delete