Friday 26 January 2024

Dickens, Charles "Barnaby Rudge"

Dickens, Charles "Barnaby Rudge: A Tale of the Riots of Eighty" - 1841

I'm a huge Charles Dickens fan. I have never read a book by him that wasn't fascinating. This was so great, as well.

I didn't know that this was another historical novel (next to "A Tale of Two Cities").

What I loved about this book was just what I normally love about Dickens. His description of the little man, the life of people at the time he writes about. How did they live? What were their problem? Why did they revolt in this case?

We get a good view about the lives and the problems of the people in the 18th century even though it wasn't the time Dickens lived in.

I can see why this is the least read of his books though it doesn't really deserve it. The topic might not seem as interesting to readers or maybe they are missing a really feel-good romance. No matter the reason, this is a great book and if you are a fan of classic literature, you should consider reading at least one of Dickens' books. And if you don't want to carry on then, it is your loss.

I would love to read this with a book club since there is so much to talk about. But I don't want to give spoilers on my blog, so I will not go into details.

From the back cover:

"Dickens's first historical novel is set against the infamous 'No Popery' riots that were instigated by Lord George Gordon in 1780, and terrorised London for days. Prejudice, intolerance, misplaced religious and nationalistic fervour, together with the villains who would exploit these for political ends, are Dickens's targets. His vivid account of the riots at the heart of the novel is interwoven with the mysterious tale of a long unsolved murder, and a romance that combines forbidden love, passion, treachery and heroism.

A typically rich cast of comic characters, from the snivelling Miss Miggs and the posturing Simon Tappertit to the half-witted
Barnaby Rudge of the title, ensures high entertainment."

14 comments:

  1. I read a bunch of Dickens in high school, but I missed this one. There are a few others that I know I've missed. I should make that a project one of these days.

    Share this with with the British Isles Friday link party, if you want -- we'd be happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this was one of his lesser known, Joy, so I'm not surprised you didn't read it in high school.

      And yes, I am sure you would make a great Dickens project. Looking forward to it already.

      Thanks for telling me I can share it. I love your link parties but thought I'd have to do a Jane Austen book I recently reviewed.

      I'll hop over there now. Have a nice weekend.

      Delete
  2. I'm certainly getting to be a Dickens fan... Only read two of his so far - 'Christmas Carol' and 'Two Cities' (which I thought was *great*). I'm planning on reading 'Hard Times' in the summer - I'm starting with his shorter books and slowly working my way up the scale to his MONSTER reads... [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised, Kitten. While I like one or the other book better than this one, all the Dickens books I've read have been fantastic. And, as you know, I love MONSTER reads. LOL

      Delete
  3. I've never even heard anything about this book! so I'm very glad to read your review of it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Lark. I am glad I could help. There are only a few of Charles Dickens' books left that I haven't read but I hope to get to them at some point.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this one. But I have not read a ton of Dickens - Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, I think that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same as Lark ^^, Sarah. And I'm not surprised. I saw that it was one of the least read books by him. My favourite, btw, is David Copperfield which Barbara Kingsolver has just turned into a modern tale, Demon Copperhead. I will review it soon, it's fantastic.

      Delete
  5. Of all of Dickens, this is the work I know least about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and everybody else, I think, Stephen. But even if this is the least read of his books, it's just as good as all his other stuff.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'd like to read this, have put this on my to-be-read pile, thank you. Have a good day, Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C&B. As a Dickens fan, I want to read all of his works. Only a few more to go.

      Delete
  7. Happy to have found you via Joy's Book Blog. As I make my list of classics to read Dickens has most certainly made it. Had not heard of this one though.

    Tina from Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Tina. I'm looking forward to many conversations and will hop over to your blog soon.

      As I already mentioned to others, they mentioned that this is his least known book and only one of two historical novels (the other one, of course, A Tale of Two Cities). It's different but nonetheless very worth reading. Enjoy.

      Delete