Thursday 18 January 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. Measuring the World

Kehlmann, Daniel "Measuring the World" (German: Die Vermessung der Welt - 2005

Apparently, this is the most successful German novel since Patrick Suskind's "Perfume" and has knocked J. K. Rowling and Dan Brown off the bestseller lists.

I can very well believe that. The author talks about two brilliant German scientists of the 18th century, the explorer and naturalist Alexander von Humboldt and the great mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss. These two guys were the brain of the late 18th century.

Read my original review here.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like *my* kind of book! [adds to Interest List]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I haven't read Perfume yet!!
    And I can keep running into von Humboldt! Is that a sign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either, Emma. It just doesn't seem like a book for me.
      And it might be a sign. LOL. Depends how interested you are. But since you notice, it's probably one.

      Delete
  3. I'm familiar with both Gauss and Humboldt, but not with this author or this book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lark. That's the nice thing about ThrowbackThursday, you can tell people again about a good book.

      Delete