Tuesday 23 January 2024

Gaiman, Neil "Coraline"

Gaiman, Neil "Coraline" - 2002

Coraline is only a short novella. It was an alright read though nothing spectacular. I probably would have enjoyed reading it with my boys.

I have never been a fan of books where children are heroes and this falls into this category. But I can see the attraction.

I loved the pictures by Chris Riddell. He is a wonderful illustrator and makes every book better, even the great ones.

And I liked these quotes:
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
"When you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave."

Luckily, there are always several people in a book club who have a different opinion, so here goes:
•    I absolutely loved Coraline. I listened to it as an audiobook that was narrated by Neil Gaiman himself. His narration was perfect for the story.
•    The story had everything I want from a book: it was mysterious, a little spooky, thrilling, had thought provoking layers and interesting vivid details. Not to mention a lovely protagonist, very interesting different side characters, especially the CAT, and a really interesting antagonist.
•    Nice plot twists with playing games with the other mother and everything turning out alright at the end again.
•    I rather not think about what this says about me and my brain, but this was the most brain stimulating and heartwarming story I read/heard all year. ♥

We read this in our international online book club in December 2023.

From the back cover:

"Sometimes, a door is closed for a very good reason…

There is something strange about Coraline’s new home. It’s not the mist, or the cat that always seems to be watching her, nor the signs of danger that Miss Spink and Miss Forcible, her new neighbours, read in the tea leaves. It’s the other house - the one behind the old door in the drawing room. Another mother and father with black button eyes and papery skin are waiting for Coraline to join them there. And they want her to stay with them. For ever. She knows that if she ventures through that door, she may never come back…
"

10 comments:

  1. I've read three of Neil Gaiman's books and unfortunately, am not a fan of his writing. So many people love his books though. I did give his works a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a different kind of group who loves his books, Lisa. I'm definitely not a fan of the genre, so he might just be great for those who love fantasy.

      Delete
  2. I didn't enjoy this one when I read it a few years ago. I don't think I'm a Gaiman fan either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, another Gaiman-non-fan. So, it's good we are not the only ones, right, Lark?

      Delete
    2. It's always good to know you're not alone. :D

      Delete
    3. Definitely. One of the beauties of blogging. You always find like-minded people.

      Delete
  3. I have only read The Graveyard Book, and really enoyed it. But I have not really had interest in his other work. I think Eleanor would like this one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could be interested in it, Sarah. After all, the protagonist is a girl. And it's not badly written or anything, just nothing I enjoy.

      Delete
    2. This will also sound silly, but I read something a couple years ago about Gaiman that mad me mad, so that is also why I haven't read anything else by him - but now I can't remember what it is that made me mad...

      Delete
    3. No silly at all, Sarah. If there is something about an author you dislike, or an actor, or whatever, you won't enjoy their books. There are certain actors that I dislike so much because I saw them in an interview or a chat show or whatever where they behabed in a way that I refuse to watch movies with them. We don't always hear as much about authors but it happens.

      Delete