Thursday 4 January 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. Possession

 

Byatt, A.S. "Possession" - 1990

I am happy to start this year's ThrowbackThursday list with one of my favourite books. I have read this book several times and I had to buy another copy because my paperback was falling to pieces.

There are two stories playing at the same time. Roland Mitchell, an American researcher at a London university, tries to find information about the fictitious Victorian poet Randolph Henry Ash. This leads him to Maud Bailey, a professor at Lincoln University who is an expert on another fictitious Victorian poet, Christabel LaMotte. While they discover a common past of the two poets and unfold a mystery, their lives begin to take on a turn parallel to that of the two poets.

The different chapters always start with a poem written by one of the two poets. I love classic novels and although this isn't one, it reads like one. Plus there is the time the two poets lived in that gives you the feeling of being in a classic book.

Did I say I love it?

Read my original review here.  

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, but I did really like the movie they made of this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the few movies that I liked after reading the book, Lark. The movie is just as beautiful as the book.

      Delete