Monday 15 July 2024

Du Maurier, Daphne "Rebecca" - 1938

Du Maurier, Daphne "Rebecca" - 1938

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." Besides "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" from Anna Karenina and "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..." from "A Tale of Two Cities" probably one of the best known first lines of any novel. Even people who never read the books have heard them.

I have wanted to read this novel for a long, long time. I don't know why it took me so long to start it but I am glad I finally did. What a story! Definitely one of my favourites of all time.

I remember watching the film at least forty years ago, I have never forgotten it. Sometimes you don't want to spoil a book by watching the movie, sometimes it is the other way around.

This has not disappointed me. On the contrary. I am glad I watched the film first because I might have not liked it as much. But his way it was good.

The writing of this book is just superb. Whether it's a conversation or the description of a situation or a landscape, it couldn't have been done any better.

The description of the book says it all, I don't want to add more to spoil it for those who have not read it.

Just one last question: Any ideas on the name of the narrator. My thought was Kirstin or Kristin or Christine or Kerstin or whatever variations of that name, I've seen so many of them. However, I guess there is a reason why the author decided not to give her a name, it goes well with her status in the book, with her self-confidence - or lack of it.

From the back cover:

"'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.'

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten...her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant - the sinister Mrs. Danvers - still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of the evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca...for the secrets of Manderley."

11 comments:

  1. I first read (and posted about) this one back in 2016 and I got caught up in it very quickly. Du Maurier's writing is so amazing...her descriptions and the way she builds suspense. This one's a classic for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Lark. And I don't know why I didn't read it earlier.

      Delete
  2. I have mixed feelings regarding Rebecca. I read it back in 2022, but didn't post a review of it or post many reviews that year.

    I thought the novel was slow to start before picking up and I didn't enjoy the ending of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can follow your thoughts, Lisa. But I still liked it.

      Delete
  3. That's exactly how I see it, Stephen. Say hi to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my radar for years but, like most fiction, it is on the backburner. It shouldn't be considering it hits every mark for a story I should love (gothic mystery/thriller, etc), but as always, it goes on the list and if I get to it, I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been on my list for ages, Sarah. So you still have a few years to get there. LOL
      I think it does hit both the gothic mystery as well as the thriller mark but since I am not a fan of either and still really enjoyed the book, you should be fine.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful book, just love the first line. I read the book not that many years ago and found it good, also in comparison with the adaptations. The old Hitchcock movie is great. I saw the modern version as well with Lily James and Armie Hammer. Good, but not as spooky as Hitchcock's version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Lisbeth. I didn't even know there was a second one. And weird, often the new ones are more spooky, more action etc., that's why I usually prefer the older ones, they are not as loud. But I guess, here, Hitchcock is the culprit. He was the master of spooky.

      Delete
  6. I love it too but definitely think the narrator was given no name just to contrast with forcefulness of the name Rebecca and her larger than life personality, even deceased. As I recall, the name became much more popular after the book came out (and probably the movie too).

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely, Constance. It makes a big impact. But there's no reason not to think about it.
      In Germany, the name Rebecca was not very much liked in my parents' generation. A cousin called their little girl Rebecca and all the parents and aunts and uncles were shocked. It was supposed to not be a nice name due to the Rebecca in the bible. But in the meantime, it is quite common here, as well. And I think it is a nice name.

      Delete